Sony RDRGX350B - Best budget DVD recorder ?

Grinnders

Novice Member
I've been trawling through the threads re: DVD recorders and I probably need a GavTech answer.

I am assessing my options for watching one satellite channel and recording another. Freeview not receivable and NTL never dug up our road :eek:(

I am about to add a 2nd independent sky feed into my house to a 2nd independent SD box. (I secretly hanker for HD but can't justify Sky-subs for what we watch so waiting to see if the Freesat launch spurs more Topfield like HD-dual-tuner PVRs)

Anyway, I'm hoping that in the interim if I buy a DVD recorder for the second room I can record a satellite received program and then play it later on the DVD (Denon 1920) player in the 1st room.

1. Is the Sony the best choice for this fairly basic requirement ?
http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_45&products_id=2312
2. Presumably it will still play retail DVD movies etc ?
3. What disc format would provide best compatibility with Denon ?
4. Does it come with a timer record function ?

FYI the second TV is 576 line CRT (double scart) may get an upgrade nto continue to receive SD feed,

Cheers

If there are any spectacularly exceptional Small LCD (<32") + DVD recorder deals anyone can point me at I may be able to stretch..... No need for HD BTW

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Grinnders

Before going into any detail here, is there a specific reason why you are going for another independent sky installation instead of sky+ and two room [ whatever its called ] ?

Grinnders

Novice Member
Hi Grinnders

Before going into any detail here, is there a specific reason why you are going for another independent sky installation instead of sky+ and two room [ whatever its called ] ?
My call has been answered.. thanks GavTech I thought you may be the oracle on this.

I do not have any sky subscriptions at the mo... I use their infrastructure but contract expired. Sky + only available through a base £16 subscription I believe.

Gavtech

Administrator
Anyway, I'm hoping that in the interim if I buy a DVD recorder for the second room I can record a satellite received program and then play it later on the DVD (Denon 1920) player in the 1st room.

1. Is the Sony the best choice for this fairly basic requirement ?
You could do it with any recorder but a unit equipped with g link would be better as it would allow the DVDR to control the satbox [ Changing channels in absent recording etc] I am not sure if this Sony model has that facility. [ If not the 770 or 870 would fit the bill ]
2. Presumably it will still play retail DVD movies etc ?
Yes
3. What disc format would provide best compatibility with Denon ?
Probably DVD-R ... but if you have a look at the Denon book it will tell you in the specification what disc types it supports.
4. Does it come with a timer record function ?
The 350? - Yes

Gavtech

Administrator
I've checked further. The 350 does not have g-link ... but does have a sychro record function ... in which case you can use the satbox to control the recorder... if the Satbox supports it.

You can get much more detailed information from the manual which you can download from here:

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.aspx?l=en

Grinnders

Novice Member
Thanks very much, that is a very useful observation re: g link.

I could survive without as I currently make a conscious decision when recording with the VCR.. but it would definitely be a useful feature...

Sadly this seems to take it up into the £200 bracket, at least if you stick with the Sony range.. which prompts the question....

Is there another comparable brand with g link at a lesser price ?

Thanks

Obviously I realise this comes with the HDD which is where the functionality starts to exceed my immediate requirements and of course is half way to an HD dual tuner toppy PVR

Gavtech

Administrator
Is there another comparable brand with g link at a lesser price ?
I don't know of any [ which doesn't mean there isn't] ... but you can probably get away with the synchro function of the 350?

Grinnders

Novice Member
Thank you.

Just had a quick read of the sync function. I think it will enable me to save electricity on the sat box, but I'm guessing the right channel would need to be pre-selected, so when it woke up, it launched the DVD into record mode of whatever channel it was set to. It sounded like the g link could be used to force a change channel...

For my short term requirements and managed budget I think it may be the best compromise so thanks for your help :smashin:

MuksC

Novice Member
have you used the Reminder/Autoview function of Sky? go into the TV Guide and find a programme you like. press Select to set a reminder. then go back to the main TV Guide page and press the Green button (to go into the Planner). you'll see a list of programmes you've set a reminder for. if you highlight one and press the Red button, a red A symbol will be placed next to it, meaning that at the start time, the Sky box will switch to the correct channel.

it does power up when on standby too, although from my experience, it wakes up a couple of minutes late, so i leave the Sky box on when i have set recordings.

i then just set the dvd recorder's timer accordingly.

jwright118

Standard Member
It certainly is a pretty good value for money recorder. I got one from argos just before christmas and thought it was great. However after a few weeks, i noticed watching/recording throught the scart connection ever so slightly softened and lessened the colour of whatever picture/signals going through it. Was hard to spot, but easily noticable once i did.

I also found this on my old philips 3305 recoder, but it was much more extreme than on the sony:mad:. I had to just watch/record stuff via the tuner instead on the philips.I didnt check the tuner on the sony, just returned it.

Grinnders

Novice Member
have you used the Reminder/Autoview function of Sky? go into the TV Guide and find a programme you like. press Select to set a reminder. then go back to the main TV Guide page and press the Green button (to go into the Planner). you'll see a list of programmes you've set a reminder for. if you highlight one and press the Red button, a red A symbol will be placed next to it, meaning that at the start time, the Sky box will switch to the correct channel.

it does power up when on standby too, although from my experience, it wakes up a couple of minutes late, so i leave the Sky box on when i have set recordings.

i then just set the dvd recorder's timer accordingly.
Funnily enough.... having mastered the basic operation and got my Kameleon 4in1 working with it I examined this synchro record feature only last night. Worked a treat... I then watched fifth gear and used the auto chaptering to skip the rubbish sections and the adverts. Brilliant.... love it more and more each day... if only they did DVD-RW Double Layer to get 2 hours of HQ :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom