Sony Rdrgx210 Or Panasonic Dmr-es10

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by markaimee, Mar 31, 2005.

1. markaimee

markaimee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thinking Of Getting Dvd Recorder, Dont Want To Spend Too Much
    Seen These Two And Cant Make My Mind Up On Which One Cheers!

Anyone Bought Any Of Theses Machines.

2. Noodles

Noodles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are the two on my short list as well. Being something of a Sony bigot I'd prefer to go with the 210, especially since it's available for under £185 from here -> https://www.discountaudiovision.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=RDRGX210

The thing I like about the Panny though is the "flexible record" mode that allows for a variable bit rate to maximise image quality for the disk space available. This is described in detail here -> http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML#6A

However, if the description of the new Sony 210 over at AV Land is correct (http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrgx210/rdrgx210.htm) it has a "Variable bit-rate MPEG encoding for maximum efficiency and recording time for all types of DVD media". This sounds as if it could be functionally equivalent to the Panny flexible record option.

So does anyone know if this is actually the case please? The Sony UK site is suspiciously devoid of any info on the 210 :-(

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The GX210 only can do VR mode with a DVD-RW (and you have to manually format it to be a VR mode disk as the default is Video mode).
    All other blank media is recorded in Video Mode.
    Also, be warned that a number of people (myself included) are finding major problems with the 210 and it's RGB input/output.
    Check the other thread on here to read up in the problems being faced.

I'd like to add that the player looks the biz, but if it doesn't do what it's meant to then why bother having one? I'm waiting on a reply from the place I got mine from on what I have to do now to get it replaced, or a refund if it's a known issue with RGB quality.

4. jwright118

jwright118
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Id go for the Panasonic ES10 hands down, myself. With the new 4-hour full resolution recording and being able to finally use rewritable dvd-rw discs on it. I read a couple of reviews on it, saying the 4 hour LP was baring indistiguishable from the 2 hour standard SP mode, -pretty impressive.

5. amirnet

amirnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should have read these forums before i went for the sony. had it for a few days and yes, there is a major rgb in/out problem. the signal quality suffers greatly. for some reason the scart input (line 3) does not accept an rgb signal when the machine is on. when it's in standby there is an rgb signal but is very degraded and dark. i urge caution to those considering buying the sony machine. i've contacted the web retailer and asked for a return.

6. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony seem to be keeping a low profile with regard to this machine because of the RGB fault, which is possibly universal, and certainly affects at least a large batch of these machines. Sony do not yet have a fix for it.

The Sony RDR GX210 does have variable bit-rate encoding, but this refers to an automatic facility to analyse the image and set the bit rate according to how much movement there is in the image. This is a hidden facility; only a real techwiz is going to be able to work out whether this feature is effective or not. Presumably the average bit-rate over the whole recording is not much affected.

On the other hand, setting the duration of recording time, which is what you would like, is much more limited on the GX210 than on many other makes. Here the options are 1, 2, 4 or 6 hours. Annoyingly, there is nothing between 2 and 4 hours, so you go right down to 4 hour quality when you want to record a film that is 2 hours 15 minutes in length. Even the 3 hour option that was available on the GX700 has now gone.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Panasonic without a doubt. The new encoding engine is currently unrivalled among DVD recorders. I am still amazed they rolled it out on budget models before implementing it on their high end machines. As things stand now recordings made on Panasonic's budget ES10 look superior to those made on their £1000 E500 in many instances!

Sony DVD recorders are decent machines, and if you want to recording mainly/entirely from Freeview then consider their GXD500. But for the analogue Sony range then the Panasonic's are superior across the board.

8. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hadn't realised that the Panasonic ES10 could handle DVD-RWs. I thought that this must be the machine that I have been looking for! :)

I look around on a few web sites and discover that it doesn't have i.link DV input from a digital camcorder (someone please correct me if I am wrong about this). I can't live without this function. So I am back to waiting for the JVC DR-M100 to become available, within a few weeks we are told. I would rather have a Pioneer, but although the replacement for the DVR320 will have component video output with progressive scan, it won't be available until some time around August. I am too inpatient to wait that long. :(

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The E65 replacement will have iLink and PC Card slots as well as all the features of the ES10 - it's due in June.

10. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Rasczak - I also need to have iLink. Any idea when Panasonic will be bringing out a version of the EH50 with iLink? In the mean time I'm getting impatient and tempted by the Sony 710 or Tosh RX34...

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    It will be June/July before the iLink equipped replacements for the E95 and E65 arrive :(

That said the RDXS34 is an excellent DVD recorder. And much of the Panasonic v Toshiba debates held on the forum between the 'old' Pannys v the 'old' RDXS32 holds true. It's just the new Panasonic's can command significantly better PQ at longer recording times now. The multi-format aspect of the Panasonic models is nice but hardly world shattering.