Sony RDR-HXD990 or the older 780

pauldc

Standard Member
I can get the Sony RDR-HXD990 cheaper then the 870 are there the same players with newer one having a bigger hard drive. Do there work the same way, does the newer one have the same components as 870 etc.

thanks for any help on this.

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Last edited:

pauldc

Standard Member
yes sorry i meant the 870 and i had one more question Ive seen that the 870 can run xvid but can the 990? i contacted the uk sony support and there seemed to think it didet play xivd not sure to bleave him. Any help on this would be great.

Gavtech

Administrator
yes sorry i meant the 870 and i had one more question Ive seen that the 870 can run xvid but can the 990? i contacted the uk sony support and there seemed to think it didet play xivd not sure to bleave him. Any help on this would be great.
The machines are broadly the same and do not have any major functional differences as far as I am aware.

The 990 WILL play DivX.

ramjet

Banned
the x70 range will play divx from the dvd player using either a cdr or a dvdr , or rw , but not from usb

I see no reason why newer models wouldnt do the same tricks

Gavtech

Administrator
Does that mean it will play xvid as well seems the 870 can play it?
No guarantee of it.

There is no mention of Xvid in the literature at all... but units that play DivX will usually play Xvid AFAIK.

ramjet

Banned
they usually do although it can depend on the compile of the xvid or divx , no guarantees but most I have tried on an x70 work fine

pauldc

Standard Member
Yea thats what i was guessing seems the x70's seems to handle it and the x90's almost seems to be the same player it should play them unless sony has put a stop in the software to make sure there cant be played

ramjet

Banned
if it didnt play the xvid , all you have to do is use convertx2dvd and make a dvd from the xvid , and play that

or use some other xvid/divx player like a popcorn hour or something similar

pauldc

Standard Member
Thats ture my old sony dvd player handles xvid so i can always keep that hooked up too. Thanks for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom