• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sony RDR-HXD970 or Panasonic DMR-EX87EB

dibberly

Still looking for a hdd dvd recorder and reading through this forum - these 2 machine comes up trumps.

They are roughly the same in price (and no great jan sales on either)

My question is....which one?

mray

I would say the Sony, especially if you are going to be using DL+R discs.
It is more user friendly too, with more features, imo.

An example: when editing on the Sony, you see a preview of the result before you execute the edit. You don't on the Panny.

High speed copy can't be done on the Panny if you record in 16.9 to DL+R.

Better menus (not much though) on the Sony.

Better record mode options on the Sony.

The big plus of the Panasonic is its quiet hard drive. The Sony is much noisier!!

The Panasonic is a good machine, but it is my second choice. It is great if you are writing to single layer discs, and it writes to RAM too.

denn

Standard Member
I also purchased the Sony RDR-HXD870 and have been pulling my hair out for two days now trying to set it up.
The booklet gives instructions for different set ups which has already baffled me. I have a Sky digital box and a Sharp LCD flat screen which has scart sockets at the rear with extensions 1&2 etc. The booklet for the Sony RDR-HXD870 gives 4 different set ups, A. Receiving Freeview ( for digital broadcasting) B. Receiving cable or satelite, (for analogue broadcasting) this is the set up I used. It then has C.terrestrial ( for analogue broadcasting.
Ive tried playing a DVD but cannot get anything through the damn TV. Where have I gone wrong?.
I have always struggled before where TV and video are concerned but never had probs like this. The instructions asume I only have a freeview box.
Please help.

Regards Dennis swift

mray

Going from memory, I would say:

Connect the TV out from the Sky box to the Line 1 scart of the Sony.

Then the line 2 scart of the Sony to the TV scart. Two scart leads required.

Set the Sony's input to line 1 via the Sony remote.

Set your Sharp to AV 1 or 2.

Setting up Freeview is another matter!!! :eek:

I hope this helps.

MuksC

the EX87 was around the £270 mark yesterday when i had a look at DigitalDirect.co.uk, but it's gone today so i assume it's out of stock, but the Sony 970 is awesome value for under £230: Click, so on that basis i'd recommend the Sony even though i own the EX87 and love it.

ramjet

Banned
Going from memory, I would say:

Connect the TV out from the Sky box to the Line 1 scart of the Sony.

Then the line 2 scart of the Sony to the TV scart. Two scart leads required.

Set the Sony's input to line 1 via the Sony remote.

Set your Sharp to AV 1 or 2.

Setting up Freeview is another matter!!! :eek:

I hope this helps.

its line 3 scart out from the sony to the scart av1 or av2 on the tv

as for the sony , it has series link which is VERY useful

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom