Sony RDR -HXD970 or Panasonic DMR-EX87EB?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by smartjafo, Sep 17, 2007.

1. smartjafo

smartjafo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am just getting into this game and trying to put together my first system. I am looking at either of the above DVD/HDD recorders to go along with Sony STRDA 1200ES or STR DG 910 or ONKYO TXSR605 receivers. My choice of speakers would be B&W MT20. I intend connecting to a Sony KLD40W2000 LCD.
    I'm looking for ease of use - particulary for recording/playback from TV etc and playning the odd DVD and my own music.
    Any advice or comments on my choices would be gratefully recieved.
    many thanks
    jafo
    :lease:

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Welcome to the forum.

You have chosen two very good machines.

You can scarcely go wrong with either.

Good luck with your purchase.

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you're not going to use the Freeview timer, or DVD-RAM, I'd recommend the Sony. I have an EX75 and an 870, which is a Pioneer clone, I think.

I used to use a DMRE50, which was very user friendly. I bought the EX75 thinking it would be a much better machine for recording quality, as around three years have passed and technology has moved on.

To cut a long story short, the Sony is a better recorder, IMO, and is easier to use. The manual record mode is a better version of Panasonics flexible record mode. To me SP mode looks better on the Sony too. I see blocking on the Panny.

The GUI is easy to use and there are more settings to play about with too.

When copying from the HD on the Panasonic, no other function is available, as a copy progress menu is permanently displayed. On the Sony you can record and copy to DVD at the same time, or copy and watch another recording, and so on.

I was sure the Panasonic would be a better option for me, but if the quality of the recorded image is the most important feature, I would go for one of the new sony range.

The Sony copies quicker from the HD to DVD.

They are both good machines, though my comparison is with the EX75, which is the previous model Panasonic. I would imagine the new EX77's are similar. Someone will soon put me straight if they're not, hehe!! :devil:

It is all down to personal preference in the end though. I think if you've had a Panny in the past, and been happy with it, you will be happy with the 77/87. :thumbsup:

4. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    It took me all that time to say what Gavtech did in around two sentences!!!!
    I've been typing for ages. :eek:

5. smartjafo

smartjafo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
    Is there a problem with using freeviewtimer with the Sony machine?
    jafo

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    There are a few threads about this issue, but I don't use the Freeview Timer. I use Sky, then transfer to HD, so I don't have that problem.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    As I understand it , there is currently a problem with the EPG LINK function only.... which you do not have to use ... you can do timers without it.

It is a problem that can reasonably be expected to be fixed given time.

8. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I agree with Gavtech. There are one or 2 on this forum who seem to have these timer issues, but if you just set up recordings within the 7 day Radio Times period, I believe you will be fine. I do that and have never had any timer problems with any of my Sony DVDRs. ( The golden rule though - make sure you have a good Freeview signal with the correct aerial - and just as important - double screened aerial lead. It's been mentioned so many times on these forums, but it is so important.)