Sony RDR-HXD970 causing Sky problem

howardg

Standard Member
I originally posted this on the Sky forum as I wasnt sure whch component was causing the problem. I am now convinced that the problem is caused by the RDR-HXD970.

I have a Panasonic 40 Skybox connected to a Sony RDR-HX970 DVD Recorder ( TV on skybox to AV1 of the DVR and a Sony KDF-50E210 TV is connected to the skybox by the VCR out to AV1 on the TV. The interconnect between the Skybox and DVDR a QED Squart 21.

Most of the channels on Sky rarely break up. However some channels such as Cartoon Network break up all the time. So I tried to see if all connections were sound. When I removed the Squart from the back of the Skybox, the break up stopped.

Any ideas very welcome.
Thank you

howardg

Standard Member
I have isolated the problem by connecting then disconnecting the SCART from the TV out of the Skybox to input (L1) of the HXD970. When disconnected there is no break up ( I am watching the broadcast as the VCR out from the Skybox is connected to the AV1 inout on the TV). As soon as I reconnect the SCART the picture breaks up. Is there any way of stopping the Line 1 on the HXD970 from sending a signal back to the SKYbox as this isthe only inpu/output connection - all other are line in only.
Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
You don't need and should not have the scart between the skybox VCR output and the TV.

You have not mentioned L3 of the DVDR? You SHOULD have a scart from that to the TV.

howardg

Standard Member
Hi Gavtec
Thanks for the reply.
VCR out of Skybox to TV is so I dont have to keep DVDR on all the time - I only switch it on to record from Sky or watch DVDS/recoreded progs. L3 is HDMI to TV.

Are you suggesting that the VCR out to TV could be the cause of the problem?

Thanks

ramjet

Banned
it could be , but it could be the hdmi lead or something else

although the test you did helped , it isnt conclusive

what you should have done was plug it back in and recreate the fault , then unplug the hdmi lead and see if the fault cleared or not

if the fault cleared , then you would know its some sort of loop effect , and some hdmi leads have caused ppl problems with interference and feedback

one other point here , is that the more usual method of connection is scart in , scart out , which would be scart from sky box tv out to sony line1 input , and sony line 3 output to tv , and in standby you get a passthrough allowing you to watch sky on the same scart from the recorder line 3 ( loops line 1 to line 3 ) and this is in rgb widescreen.

worth trying that and see if the fault stays or goes , and you may find that with the hdmi out and the scarts in it may all be ok , pointing to the hdmi lead in that case

howardg

Standard Member
Thanks Ramjet

I now have the Skybox looped through the DVDR ie I have removed the SCART from the Skybox VCR out to TV AV1 in and removed the HDMI from the DVDR to the TV. So far no break up of picture which usually occurs straight away.

I dont think the problem is the HDMI as I removed this before and the break still occured. I also tried taking the TV out from the Skybox, using a SCART to phono adapter, to the L2 input on the DVDR and experienced no breakup thus suspecting the L1 input being the culprit.

Can you tell me what I should set L1 input to decoder or RGB.

Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
I dont think the problem is the HDMI as I removed this before and the break still occured.

The problem was caused entirely by having that additional and unnecessary scart lead which was giving you a feedback loop.

Sky will pass through the DVD provided you have the input and output of the DVDR set to RGB.

The DVDR does not need to be ON for this.
Pass-through can also be forced when the machine is on by using the Channel + button on the machine [ Not the remote].

The scarts need to be in a chain :
Sky TV Out to Line 1.
Line 3 to an RGB capable socket on the TV

Things start to get much more difficult if you want to use the decoder setting and even more so when using HDMI.

HDMI can only be used when the DVDR is switched ON...

It is probably possible to use both HDMI and scart together.
Scart for when the machine is off. HDMI for when it is ON

It depends on how the machine behaves in this configuration... and of that I cannot be certain.

The problem is that the same signal, RGB is the source for both routes and normally, if one is used the other is disabled.... but the act of switching the machine On and Off may autoswitch this the way you require it.

I seem to recall someone reporting that it did.

howardg

Standard Member
A big thank you for all this info. At least I can be sure the my DVDR is not faulty.

I now have only the SCARTs connected from Skybox to DVDR and the then from DVDR to TV - the HDMI is removed. This defeats the object of having a DVD machine that upscales to 1080i which the TV can take advantage of.

The manual states that the SCART & HDMI cannot be used together but I may try this just to see if there is any difference in picture quality. I did find that when using HDMI that recordings made in HQ have small black lines around people/objects when they moved fast (I posted on this subject) so I may give up on the HDMI link anyway. I also have the component option which I believe may be better than HDMI & SCART anyway.

Once again many thanks

ramjet

Banned
I can tell you that you can use composite out on an x70 and also the hdmi as well as I have this arrangement from a 770 to a goodmans freeview lcd tv and this arrangement seems to be ok , but no I havent checked for artefacts or other issues , just tried it now and both will work , and I am fairly sure that you can use both scart and component too as my 970 is connected to a toshiba tv that way and I havent seen any problems using that arrangement either

so component and scart = ok

and composite and hdmi = ok

howardg

Standard Member
Thanks Ramjet

I dont think you can use the Scart out and HDMi out. Yes Component & HDMI work together and I think Component and Scart works together just not scart & HDMI.

I still dont understand the lines issue from recorded material. I dont see the same lines when I watch the Skybox through the DVDR via HDMI or with DVDS played on the DVDR it only occurs when I play back programmes recorded on the DVDR. I think it may be the TV not being able to cope with the resolution.

Gavtech

Administrator
I dont think you can use the Scart out and HDMi out. Yes Component & HDMI work together and I think Component and Scart works together just not scart & HDMI.
Component also takes the RGB signal as its source... so again you cannot have both [ie RGB by scart, You would be restricted to composite. ]
I still dont understand the lines issue from recorded material. I dont see the same lines when I watch the Skybox through the DVDR via HDMI or with DVDS played on the DVDR it only occurs when I play back programmes recorded on the DVDR. I think it may be the TV not being able to cope with the resolution.

Surely it is because those are recordings from when you had the problem, and so have recorded that way?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom