Sony RDR-HXD910 - Dubbing Restriction

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cabello-man, Mar 12, 2006.

1. cabello-man

cabello-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased this DVD because I needed a recorder with HDMI and upscaling.

There seems to be a Dubbing restriction if you want copy a DVD to HDD, even if the DVD is not protected.

Acording to the manual you are able to carry out this function providing the disc is NOT protected, yet it still doesn't work.

The menu function for this facility is on the player but is is greyed out and not available.

Does anyone know a way around this or is there a code or software upgrade that will allow this function to be accessable.

:lease:

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Are you sure its not copy protected? Is it a "home made" disc?

The format may be incompatible with the 910 - see the manual for the types of disc that can be used.

3. abercrombie

abercrombie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Insert sourse DVD in the drive, The amber light automatically comes on.
    Press system menu
    Choose DVD toHDD
    YOU ARE ASKED TO ENTER ALL TITLES YOU WISH TO RECORD IN THE CORRECT ORDER (This must be done even if there is only one title on the disc) after you have entered at least one title the blanked out start menu will be highlighted.

If thi does not work, try recording a DVD from the HDD Then try to do the reverse. If this works you have been trying to record a protected disc.

4. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have noticed a few instances just like this with my HX910. I have also noticed that some discs, you can press the 'titles' button and access the individual tracks list on the discs, while others wont let you do this. If you "can" access the titles, and the movie is not protected, I can copy SOME of them, not all, just some of them. It has a hit/miss ratio of about 1 in 2 (50:50) that I have tried, but I can copy ANY movies I want, regardless of the pathetic attempts to stop it from happening. This area MAY be considered by some to be treading on legal grounds so I wont go into depths over it, but some movies can be easily copied via the simplest methods while others take a bit of craft or tact,, either that or a good DvD ripping programme...

You also have to remember that you have a SONY unit and Sony are most likely at the forefront of the movie industry and recording/viewing equipment thereof.. It therefore stands to reason that they often lead the way in implementing certain "restrictions" on what can and can't be done with their equipment, and indeed all other brands. Others merely follow Sonys lead... By owning a Sony, you are kind of holding hands with the devil, so to speak...

In the past, this was the case before DvD equipment was available. Certain CD recorders were NOT the ones to own. Sony was at the top of the list, simply because they were leading the protection game and were setting standards which others followed. Their equipment was top notch but the firmware and other inbuilt software made them undesirable in some circles... I believe this still counts in the DvD movie arena. I would say that you are staring down the same barrel. Most of the restrictions will be implemented through their controlling software (firmware) and sometimes, it appears that something should work but it just doesn't... Sometimes, movies do not have to be protected. The mere fact that they are in a movie format may invoke certain protection from within the recorder...

Of this I am sure - It is a funny world out there in movie land and movies mean money, therefore the more they take from you, the happier they are. The only real way to get around it is through computers and software. Believe me, this is so... It is a cat 'n' mouse game from both sides of the argument. They jump ahead, then we catch up and sometimes leap right over the top of them,, until the next round...

5. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't know how this new series x10 is, but the previous x00 (hx900 hx1000) didn't allow any DVD => HDD transfer except if that DVD were previously been recorded by a HDD => DVD transfer.

6. ecs

ecs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My HXD910, which is 3 months old, has developed a dubbing fault.

Basically the dub feature no longer works on DVD-R discs, the machine makes a lot of noise and eventually I get the message "the disc is dirty". I have tried a number of discs. There is no problem recording direct from TV onto the disc, it's only when I try to dub.

I can dub onto DVD-RW no problem, it seems just to be a problem with DVD-R.

Has anyone else had this problem?

7. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ecs...

I have had a similar problem with my HX910...

Do you ever see an error message like C:13 or C13:00 or similar on the display when you get the dub failure?? It appears to be an "issue" with some Sony DvD units (recorders and/or players). It may or may not be a serious issue...
    I get the "Dirty Disc" message every now and then,, and yes,, it is with DVD-R discs. I have tried another brand and the discs burn fine. I have also resorted to dubbing as soon as I power on the recorder, as I noticed that the two or three times it happened, the recorder had been on for some hours and appeared to be quite warm, so I burn DVDs while it is cool, and it seems to work ok...

If it continues, take it back and get it looked at as the "full on" C13 or Dirty Disc syndrome can be a known problem with the laser units in some Sonys and may result in a complete laser failure.

Let me know how you get on, as I too may have to keep an eye on the possible outcome of this...

8. ecs

ecs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jim, thanks for this.

I do get something like 13:00 on the recorder when the fault occurs.

I'll try it again when the machine is cooler. I'm using the same make of discs which I have always used since I bought the machine - it never gave me problems before.

I will let you know next time I try.

ed

9. ecs

ecs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I have now tried dubbing from HDD>DVD-R when the machine is cool, but I have the same problem. "The Disc is Dirty" every time.

I have opened a new spindle of blank Verbatim DVD-R discs, makes no difference. I haven't tried a different brand, but since the first 100 or so Verbatim disks I tried were all fine, I don't think that the disks can be the problem.

As I say, dubbing DVD-RW does not seem to pose the same problem.

I have telephoned Sony, they say I should take it to my local repair centre. However my various local repair centres tell me that the repair will take anywhere between 2-3 weeks, and I can't afford to be without the machine for that long.

Does anyone know what else I can do? The machine is only 4 months old.

10. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If it were me, I'd be seeking a replacement or refund from the retailer.

The Sale of Goods act is on your side here, since it's less than six months old - the seller would need to prove the machine WASN'T faulty at the time of sale.

You might be hard pushed to get hold of another 910 though, as they have now been discontinued.

11. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Personally, I'd be tempted to take it back as advised above, since this kind of problem seldomn comes right and will only get worse. Even if it writes to other disc formats, you must be aware that it ISN'T writing to -R and that's like saying a car will turn to the left but not to the right and then saying there isn't really a problem. There IS...!!!

Also, be aware that the longer you leave it, the harder it may become to get anything done about it, when or if anything major does go wrong, especially if they know you have contacted them and then decided not to bring it in...

Do it NOW and be thankful later...

12. ecs

ecs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Discontinued - already? Why?

13. undertest

undertest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RDRHX925 (I believe D follows later) due for release in April/May 06

14. Marco62

Marco62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but what about the manual chapters in Sony RDR-HX910 ?
    I can't transfer/dub any titles with chapters.
    For example 1 title with chapters are on my HD but when I do a DVD-R any chapters but just the title without them...

Why ? Any ideas ?
    Is it a bug ?

Because in the manual I found: when you dub, the chapter marks in the source of duplication are not saved in the copied title!