Sony RDR-HXD890 XVID through usb input?

T

tightwod

Hi, Could anyone that owns one of these DVD HDD Recorders, tell me if it can play XVID and DIVX movies from a usb memory stick plugged into one of it's usb inputs.

Thanks.

Hi, Could anyone that owns one of these DVD HDD Recorders, tell me if it can play XVID and DIVX movies from a usb memory stick plugged into one of it's usb inputs.

Thanks.

no it wont , and there are very few if any that will

Thanks for the info guys.

I don't know why they don't support this handy feature.

Thing is, some time back I bought a £35 cheapie DVD player from LIDL that had USB, SD and CF slots on it. Absolutely no problem playing anything I wanted off of any media that I wanted.

I love my HXD890 and it's a class above in build quality and aesthetics than the LIDL box but they have made some stupid consumer-annoying decisions in the name of token copy protection. If I have downloaded a DiVX then I can burn it onto a DVD or CD and play it on the Sony - how on earth does stopping me do likewise off of a USB device benefit the rights holder?

If they are so worried, why support DIVX on the machine at all; Reason of course is that people would buy competitors machines. So they go out of their way to introduce annoying restrictions on what media it will play the DIVX files from instead :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom