Sony RDR-HXD890 recording DVD for playback on PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by charlietesco, Feb 6, 2009.

1. charlietesco

charlietesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know how to the following, want i want to do is burn a dvd on my sony dvd recorder that i can play on another DVD player AND on a PC using MS media player, should i be able to do this? Ta

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    use VIDEO MODE and fastdub to a +RW verbatim , and this will play on a pc

you can also author on a pc and burn a new dvd -R disk

but to play on a player you have to use a finalised disk

3. charlietesco

charlietesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so if i burnt onto a +RW verbatim this would work on a PC using media player or a DVD player

4. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    it will play on a pc but I cannot tell you anything about media player as I dont use it

try power dvd or vlc player or similar , especially if media player doesnt play it , or try media player classic

din my experience it depends on how the disk is made , if it is finalised or not , and if its + or - as to if another player will play it , and even then some will and some wont

its all down to trial and error , there are no simple answers , you have to try it and see

I also find that a disk made on a sony will play in another sony , so like for like is better

but you wont get a guarantee that the disk will play on any player unless you use the pc to re-author it and burn to a new disk on the pc , which is what I always do using TMPGenc dvd author

5. charlietesco

charlietesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks - why has it got to be so hit and miss, one reason i bought this bit of kit was to make dvd's from my cam corder which i used to do on my pc but the rendering takes all night do i thought this would be easier and quicker , silly me

how long would the re-author take on a 2 hour dvd

thanks again

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,097
    You SHOULD be able to do this but obviously it depends on what the other devices support.

What is the other DVD player ... and what message do you get if it fails to play with MS media player?
    [ There are many other media players one can install so the latter should never be a real issue. ]

7. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    again , you are expecting too many single answers on difficult questions

re-authoring speed depends on the pc being used , its cpu and speed , memory , operating system , codecs being used and sundry other factors that affect the time taken

there is no easy answer , apart from it takes as long as it takes , and is faster on a modern fast pc compared to an older slower pc

and each manufacturer designs to their own specifications which may or may not be the international standards laid down by some governing bodies in regards to say a standard commercial dvd , which a recorder does not make ( none of them do to my knowledge )

so if you are expecting a one size fits all approach it isnt going to happen

and if you expect a dvd recorder to produce the same as a commercially made dvd , that wont happen either

that is why I mentioned that you tend to find a sony disk plays better on another sony , etc

8. Phorteous

Phorteous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It shouldn't make any difference whether you use DVD-R or DVD+R (or RW) unless you're using a pc thats several years old, in which case it may only be compatible with the DVD-R format.

It also shouldn't make any difference whether you're playing back in another player or a pc's dvd drive, so long as the disc produced in the Sony is in "video mode" and finalised.

I've found the discs produced on my Sony recorder play back straight away in the Media Center part of Vista but sometimes struggle to play back through media player.

However I've found you can kick start media player into action.
    Load a dvd and if media player struggles, close it. Now right click on the dvd drive and open the folder with the video files.
    Double click the first big VTS file, it should be several hundred mbs, and this should launch media player (if it's the default autoplay player set up in control panel/autoplay) and play the file. Once media player is up and running you can use it as normal. Right click in the main video window and you can bring up the title or root menu, (DVD FEATURES-ROOT MENU) or just double click on the chapter or title in the right window pane.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. charlietesco

charlietesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you mean video_ts folder which i have got but no file under that name. anyways with this disk loaded (-r video mode) media player auto loads but then says cannot play because it does not have a compatible codec, does the same if i try to play a title

10. charlietesco

charlietesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just installed VLC media player and it works just fine and it was a free download, why can't MS maker their media player do the same. only prob is that i want to make a dvd that i can give to my mates without them having the hassle of installing more software (not sure if they all have got dvd players but all have pc's)

11. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I did tel you all this earlier , but pc,s always rely on the installed software and codecs and as there are hundreds of variations you will never account for what others have or havent got

I just tried wmp9 and it failed

tried power dvd = ok

tried vlc media player = ok

the safest method is to re-author the dvd using TMPGenc dvd author or convertx2dvd and produce a proper dvd on your pc , burned to a -R disk with a proper menu , and let them have that

this is precisely what I am doing right at this minute and I can tell you that the final disk will play as expected in any pc or player or recorder

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009