Sony RDR-HXD890 question

Taurine14

Standard Member
Hey guys,

Just a quick question - I have been given (for free - I wouldn't dream of buying this piece of junk over the other HDD recorders out there!) a Sony RDR-HXD890 HDD/DVD recorded, and I've hooked it up to the TV in my room and using a cheap indoor aerial (I am in a strong signal area so its sufficient).

I was just wondering if I can record something on one channel, and then go and watch another channel on it? Because when I try, the box switches to the channel that I am recording off of, and every button I press says "operation not available" or something along those lines. Unless I stop the recording, I can't do anything.

I know on Sky+ you can do it because of the dual coax cable going into the box from the dish enables you to record on one channel whilst watching another, but obviously I've only got a single coax cable going into my HDD recorder.

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you all soon.

I've had one of these for five years or more or at least since it first became available. It has worked flawlessly with almost six hours a day use. You refer to this machine as a piece of junk and then seem to expect it to do things that you plainly do not understand. My first reaction was to move on from your post and leave you to it, but on refection I decided to assist you. Select HDD,and go into record on either of the two methods available to and then move the cursor downwards to view your preferred recording. Put your prejudiced views away and enjoy. ps It is even more effective if used in association with a front end box.

Taurine14

Standard Member
I've had one of these for five years or more or at least since it first became available. It has worked flawlessly with almost six hours a day use. You refer to this machine as a piece of junk and then seem to expect it to do things that you plainly do not understand. My first reaction was to move on from your post and leave you to it, but on refection I decided to assist you. Select HDD,and go into record on either of the two methods available to and then move the cursor downwards to view your preferred recording. Put your prejudiced views away and enjoy. ps It is even more effective if used in association with a front end box.

Hey, first of all thanks for your reply, I'll try it out when I've next got something to record and let you know how it goes.

Secondly, well done for having it for five+ years I guess? I'm not too sure what to make of that. Just because you, personally, have had a good experience with the recorder, it does not make your personal experience with it every ones experience with it. I said it was a piece of junk compared to the other HDD recorders out there, but as a standalone box it does what its supposed to do. If you go and look at the Amazon reviews, most of them are negative, and for reasons which can easily be fixed by Sony, such as the 'Guide' on the box doesn't let you watch the channel in a small screen in the corner like most free-view boxes or recorders now do, and also how SLOW everything is, from turning the box on/off and selecting options, then having to wait a few seconds for the thing to respond.

Next time, don't get so offended by other peoples opinions on things that you like. My opinion is that its a rubbish box, yours is that its a good box. Let's leave it at that.

Gavtech

Administrator
It is true your expectations are misplaced here.

You are comparing this machine with machines which belong different class of device which are not constrained by removable disc requirements and behave and perform in a completely different way.

To address your original question, to be able to record one channel and watch another requires two tuners.
This unit , in common with all SD DVDR recorders has only one tuner so it is not possible.

However if you have another tuner anywhere else in your system , such as in your TV for example, you can use it's tuner whilst the DVDR is recording.

Taurine14

Standard Member
It is true your expectations are misplaced here.

You are comparing this machine with machines which belong different class of device which are not constrained by removable disc requirements and behave and perform in a completely different way.

To address your original question, to be able to record one channel and watch another requires two tuners.
This unit , in common with all SD DVDR recorders has only one tuner so it is not possible.

However if you have another tuner anywhere else in your system , such as in your TV for example, you can use it's tuner whilst the DVDR is recording.

Yes, my TV has a tuner in it. So I have to watch other channels on my TV, not the recorder. Thanks for your answer! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom