Sony RDR-HXD870B Editing on Hard Disk?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GunRunner, Sep 16, 2007.

1. GunRunner

GunRunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

Sony RDR-HXD870B Editing on Hard Disk?

1. I understand from reading on this forum that this recorder can play back DVD-RAM discs. Given that it can, is it possible to do the following:

a. Copy DVD-RAM discs to the Hard Drive?

b. Edit the content on the Hard Drive and then burn new discs for playing in other recorders.

2. Is there a "best" DVD foramt for copying to, so that the discs will play on the majority of recorders?

(Currently I have a Panasonic DMR HS2 that has been used to record everything off my Sony camcorder on to the Hard Drive and then moved across to DVD-RAM disk for storage. The Panasonic was only able to record to DVD-R (as well as DVD-RAM of course)).

Many thanks in anticipation.

2. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The RDR-HXD870 will not read DVD-RAM discs. Sony has never shown the slightest interest in DVD-RAM and the company's machines will work with only DVD +/- R/RW discs. However, it would be easy to copy in real time from your Panasonic machine and on to the 870. Then you could edit on the hard drive using the A-B edit function and burn your footage to DVD +/- R/RW. The -R/RW discs are best because they finalise automatically.

3. GunRunner

GunRunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the response. I was a little startled by your statemt "will not read DVD-RAM discs". and found a downloadable pdf manual and on page 12, I found the following statement " This recorder also recognises DVD-RAMs as DVD Video compatible discs". I knew I had read it somewhere on the forum before confirming it in the pdf file:). However the information you gave with regards to the -R/RW discs was what I needed to know.

Having said that, I presume as it will read DVD-RAM discs, I will be able to copy the content (mine from Camcorder- not commercial) to the hard drive? You never know especially with competing formats.

Thanks

4. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That is interesting and not something we have tried to do. If the drive will recognise the DVD-RAM disc and play it properly, there is no reason why it shouldn't transfer the footage to the Hard Drive on the 870. This is something I'll be looking into in the Sony Centre where I work and if I get a definitive answer I'll post it here.

5. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just goes to show how hard it is to know everything about a product. You are indeed correct that the 870 will read DVD-RAM discs, as long (of course) as they are not in a permanent cartridge. :thumbsup:

I can confirm that you will be able to dub from your DVD-RAM discs to the HD of the 870 and then use the editing features of the unit.

Also remember that, for any films that you still have on your Handycam , if it is MiniDV format you can connect it using firewire to the front of the 870 and dub directly from the camera to the Hard Disk. I demonstrated this in a customer's home yesterday and they were amazed at how easy this is.

6. GunRunner

GunRunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    matt78

Thanks for this information. In fact I have got a good video camera for its age (5 years). It is a Sony DCR-PC120E Handycam. I am just wondering if I will see any difference in quality if I run the tapes directly through the firewire onto the new Sony RDR-HXD870B hard drive. This is how I originally did it on the Panasonic DVD RAM recorder, and then put them onto the DVD-RAM disks.

7. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well worth it if you ask me. You will be taking a stage out of the process making your Hard Drive copy 2nd generation instead of 3rd. The dub feature does work rather well once you get the hang of it.

8. GunRunner

GunRunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    matt78

I have sent you a PM.:)