Question Sony RDR-HXD870 will not dub from HDD to DVD

Doe of Arabia

Novice Member
Reaction score
My machine will no longer allow my to dub from HDD to DVD. My practice has been to record programmes in LP then trim them and copy to DVDR, finalising to allow watching elsewhere as I live outside the UK. Now I get a message saying "cannot complete dub", on 3-4 out of 5 attempts. Often on removing the Disc I notice that an attempt has been made to write to disc - perhaps 3-4mm has been burnt, so I discard it and try again. On occasion the first programme on the disc index has been blank so I have also tried inserting a short 'sacrificial' programme segment as the first item. This no longer works. I have tried resetting the machine and updating the software as has previously been advised, have reset the digital channels and have opened it to make sure all links are made and have vacuumed it out as I read that dust may cause shorts. All to no avail.

I am running out of ideas now, but cannot abandon it as the alternative choices that cover my needs are getting rarer than hen's teeth.

Welcome to the forum.

Problems of this nature are almost always due to poor quality / bad batch disk media.
The market is awash with poor quality media.

Try other media... preferably something made by Taiyo Yuden using the TYG03 dye.

Given its age the laser may be weakening too. All the more reason to use completely compatible quality media

Thanks for the advice. I've always used Maxell, I'll get a batch and try them. Is replacing the write drive an option? If so any advice on type? (Novice in all ways)

I have the same problem when trying to dub certain titles from the HDD to a DVD. I get an message 'Recording information to disc' and then 'cannot complete dub'. I have tried different new discs. So, is it a problem with the copy of the title on the HDD ? What can I do ? Optimise the HDD ?

'Optimise' is really just a defragmentation routine (like on older PC's) to better order the file system and content... I doubt that is the issue if the recording play OK from the HDD.

I've two of these wonderful machines and as Gavtech mentioned in an earlier post there is a lot of poor media around. I've seen discs deteriorate visibly in months and become unplayable. Verbatim is the only brand I use now and I've never had issues although to be fair I hardly ever use the DVD drive.

I wonder if the laser objective lens needs a clean after all these years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom