Sony RDR-HXD870 - upscaling via HDMI picture problems

Crazytrekker

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a strange little problem. My Pace Sky Digital box (note: not Sky HD or Sky+) is connected to my Panasonic 32" LCD by two methods:

1. Directly via SCART

2. Indirectly via SCART to my Sony RDR-HXD870 PVR and then via HDMI from the PVR to the TV which is upscaling to 1280x1080p.

The picture via method 1 is pretty decent under the circumstances.

However, when I watch Sky via method 2 the outlines of objects have a fairly pronounced "fizzing" around them - this includes on-screen channel logos and even the Sky box channel menus.

When I play a DVD on the Sony RDR-HXD870 via HDMI it looks fine with none of these artifacts, it's just the Sky picture.

Is there something wrong with the Sony RDR-HXD870 and the way it inputs/outputs/upscales the Sky signal? Or is it the Sky transmission itself which is fine when transmitted via SCART but then goes crappy when an HDMI interface is involved?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Thanks,

John

I have a strange little problem. My Pace Sky Digital box (note: not Sky HD or Sky+) is connected to my Panasonic 32" LCD by two methods:

1. Directly via SCART

2. Indirectly via SCART to my Sony RDR-HXD870 PVR and then via HDMI from the PVR to the TV which is upscaling to 1280x1080p.

The picture via method 1 is pretty decent under the circumstances.

However, when I watch Sky via method 2 the outlines of objects have a fairly pronounced "fizzing" around them - this includes on-screen channel logos and even the Sky box channel menus.

When I play a DVD on the Sony RDR-HXD870 via HDMI it looks fine with none of these artifacts, it's just the Sky picture.

Is there something wrong with the Sony RDR-HXD870 and the way it inputs/outputs/upscales the Sky signal? Or is it the Sky transmission itself which is fine when transmitted via SCART but then goes crappy when an HDMI interface is involved?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Thanks,

John

Hi John

From your description it seems likely that in case 1... you have the TV output scart of sky connected direct to the TV.

This TV output is the only quality output from skyboxes conventionally [ RGB], the other scart being composite quality only.

Normally the TV scart should be fed to your DVDR not your TV - to get the benefit of that.

as gavtech says , have the vcr scart on the sky box going to the tv as cvbs which is composite

have the sky box tv scart going to the recorder with a 21 pin scart lead and set to rgb widescreen

if the sky box had 2 rgb outouts instead of one , you wouldnt have this problem

and what you have done is connect the vcr socket to the dvd recorder , when its actually for a vcr , and labelled that way too , your 870 is not a vcr , its a dvd recorder

Hi John
From your description it seems likely that in case 1... you have the TV output scart of sky connected direct to the TV.
This TV output is the only quality output from skyboxes conventionally [ RGB], the other scart being composite quality only.
Normally the TV scart should be fed to your DVDR not your TV - to get the benefit of that.

Ooh I just checked and you were spot on! Cheers matey! The TV SCART output was indeed connected to the TV. I swapped the cables round and there is a noticable improvement.

It's not absolutely perfect though. Browsing the Sky TV menu, instead of all the text appearing "fizzy" the line which is highlighted is now frizzy for an second and then clears. Move to the next line, that's frizzy for a second and then clears.

Is there any way of tweaking to get rid of this? My box is set to 16:9, RGB out.

Can I assume that upgrading to Sky HD would clear all this up?

it wont clear it as far as the sony recorder is concerned as I dont think the sky hd box has 2 rgb outputs either

sounds to me as if you havent got the settings quite right yet

set the sky box to rgb and 16:9 , and also set the sony to the correct settings too , and finally make sure the tv is set to the correct hdmi settings that work with what you are trying to achieve

and try disconnecting the hdmi lead and connect using scart until its set correctly for rgb passthrough , then add the hdmi and tweak the hd settings

ps:- you may find that both the sony and the panasonic are doing the upscaling , so fighting each other , so you may need to let one or the other do it , not both

Also try disconnecting the other scart cable. [ Sky VCR scart to TV]
[ It is not really necessary anyway as you can use the RGB passthrough facility of the DVDR and watch and record all sources in RGB ]

It is possible that it is momentarily latching the TV input and what you are seeing is a second's worth of composite... via the 'VCR scart'

Hi Guys,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as Crazytrekker except that I'm using a Panasonic DMR EX75 HDD recorder. My connections are from SKY+ (AV1) to TV and SKY+ (AV2) to EX75 (AV2) connected by HDMI to TV. If I were to change them around, as you guys suggest, would I still be able to use the Ext. Link function automatically on the EX75 in combison with the SKY copy function?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as Crazytrekker except that I'm using a Panasonic DMR EX75 HDD recorder. My connections are from SKY+ (AV1) to TV and SKY+ (AV2) to EX75 (AV2) connected by HDMI to TV. If I were to change them around, as you guys suggest, would I still be able to use the Ext. Link function automatically on the EX75 in combison with the SKY copy function?

Thanks

You would have to change to Ext Link Mode 2 instead of Mode 1

You'll find the setting in:

Functions / To others / Setup / Connections / AV2 Settings.

Note my comment in Post 6 about the other scart not being necessary.

Many thanks Gavtech, I'll give it a try. Regarding your cable omission idea in post 6, would I not have to keep the EX75 on all the time to view Sky?

Many thanks Gavtech, I'll give it a try. Regarding your cable omission idea in post 6, would I not have to keep the EX75 on all the time to view Sky?

No, it is not necessary.

When switched off the EX75 will still pass through the RGB from sky through to TV.

It will even pass through if the EX75 were timer recording internally and in stand-by ... although I 'm guessing you don't have an aerial so never have need of this.

Additional note. a couple of other setting changes which can be beneficial:
Also in :Functions / To others / Setup / Connections /

Change AV1 output from RGB2 to RGB1 [ Change back if you don't like the switching behaviour - This setting holds the TV scart all the time the EX75 is switched on ]

Change AV2 input to RGB and Video ... if it isn't already like that.

Thanks once again. I will try these settings this evening and post back tomorrow with results. :thumbsup:

Hi Gavtech,

I did all that you suggested and, as you correctly diagnosed, the picture is markedly improved. Thank you for that. However, I can't get the ext link to work correctly in either mode. I used to be able to press the ext link button and then the EX75 would auto start when the Sky copy utility started. Now the EX75 just starts recording straight away. (Presumably because there's no special signal coming from SKY's VCR Scart) Secondly, re the other setting change that you recommended - the AV1 Output, It was set to Video and I can see RGB1 & RGB2 but cannot select them, my only selectable alternative is s-video. Any ideas? AV2 input was already RGB & Video. The TV is a Panasonic TH42PZ70B.

Please could you have a quick scan over my connections and any alternative suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sky+ TV scart (bottom one) connected to Panasonic DMREX75 AV2 (bottom one)
Panasonic DMREX75 AV1 (top one) connected to TV AV1
Panasonic DMREX75 HDMI connected to TV HDMI

SKY box settings: RGB / Scart control on / 16:9

EX75 settings: AV1 Output = video (no alternative) / AV2 input RGB & Video / Ext Link Mode 2

TV settings:- Qlink: AV1 / AV1 out: monitor.

Thanks very much,
Rob

When switched off the EX75 will still pass through the RGB from sky through to TV.

Actually, would it?

Before I got my HDTV I had Sky connected to my HXD870 by SCART and my HXD870 to the TV by another SCART. When the HXD870 was switched off the Sky signal was passed through to the TV.

However, this is no longer the case. When I switch the HXD870 off I no longer get a Sky picture. Is this because I'm using an HDMI (only) from the HXD870 to the TV?

as gavtech says , it passes the RGB through to the tv , the word RGB is significant as its scart to scart RGB signals

the 870 needs to be switched on and set to LINE 1 to pass through signals from line 1 input to hdmi output ( rgb to hdmi )

Last edited:
However, this is no longer the case. When I switch the HXD870 off I no longer get a Sky picture. Is this because I'm using an HDMI (only) from the HXD870 to the TV?

Yes - That is the reason.

HDMI is always and only an active interface
The machine must be powered and ON for it to work... and therefore it cannot pass through when the machine is in standby.

HDMI is always and only an active interface
The machine must be powered and ON for it to work... and therefore it cannot pass through when the machine is in standby.

I know this may be over-complicating things, but if I wanted to watch Sky without turning on the PVR could I connect a SCART lead from the PVR to the TV (in addition to the HDMI) and then select SCART1 from the TV input?

you can connect a composite to scart lead from the sony dvdr recorder to your tv and the passthrough works as cvbs

or try from sky box vcr scart output to the tv using a scart lead

your sony recorder is not a pvr , its a dvdr

a pvr has no dvd capabilities

Changing my cabling just doesn't work as it should so I'm going to have to revert to my original scart setup with the sky+ vcr scart connected to my HDR. What a shame :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom