Sony RDR-HXD870 - Timer problem & device freezing

base_uk

Standard Member
Hi

Apologies if this has been covered before or I am posting in the wrong forum or anything. I did have a rummage through the site and tried searching but nothing came up, so...

I recently bought a Sony RDR-HXD870. Very happy with it so far except for a couple of things I was hoping someone may be able to advise with?

I am using the Guideplus system for timer recording, which works fine except that it has a habit of cutting the beginning of the programme off. There doesn't seem to be a consistent period of time that it is cutting and it is definitely not that the clock is simply set wrong. I looked at troubleshooting in the manual, and the only condition listed in there that it could be is "The VPS/PDC function is working."

I understand that this only works if you use analogue reception (which I do not, I only have reception through a Sky dish, regular reception in my area is abysmal!!), so this sounds like it could be the problem, but I cannot see where it can be switched off?? The option doesn't appear where the manual says it should?! Can anyone point me in the right direction OR anyone have any other ideas of what the problem could be?

One other thing (while I'm here), I came in the house at the weekend and the device appeared to be locked in the EPG download mode. The display was frozen on '5:02' and I got no response from any of the controls and had to unplug to reset it. Anyone else had this before?? Should I be worried?

Many thanks for any help!!

Tam1

Standard Member
I have *exactly* the same issue.

Analogue is poor, freeview is unable to show any picture or sound (although is strong enough to send over the tv guide to the player :thumbsup: )

Would be great if there is a solution to this!

base_uk

Standard Member
I recorded a film last night and it appears to have got all of it! Don't know for sure yet if the problem has gone away tho!!

Just to add another to the list, I have my analogue aerial going through my Sky box and then into the recorder then the TV, but neither the recorders analogue tuner or the TV's can find any channels other than Sky. A minor problem, but a bit irritating, anyone know why this is??

:lease:

The Sorcerer

I recorded a film last night and it appears to have got all of it! Don't know for sure yet if the problem has gone away tho!!

The GUIDE Plus+ system is excellent and doesn't often give problems. The problem you're having is the incompetence of broadcasters who seem unable or unwilling to stick to a timetable. The GUIDE Plus+ system, for example, knows that an episode of "The Bill" starts at 20.00 and the next programme starts at 21.00, so will switch your recorder on for that 1-hour time period. If the broadcaster is running on time, you'll get the whole programme, but sometimes they start a minute early, or 3 minutes late, so you miss either the beginning or the end of the programme.

The way round this is to use VPS/PDC. The broadcaster (again, you're relying on them to do what they should be doing so there are inevitably some failures because of their incompetency) sends a cueing signal at the start of the broadcast that tells your machine to start recording. The signal is transmitted all through the programme, so when your recorder detects that the signal has gone, it knows to stop recording as the programme has ended.

[1] Mind you, you've already said that "normal" reception is abysmal in your area and you can only watch TV through Sky. As far as I know, Sky doesn't carry the VPS/PDC signals so you couldn't use it anyway.

Just to add another to the list, I have my analogue aerial going through my Sky box and then into the recorder then the TV, but neither the recorders analogue tuner or the TV's can find any channels other than Sky. A minor problem, but a bit irritating, anyone know why this is??

:lease:

See the first sentence of [1] above.

Just re-read your original posting asking where to turn VPS/PDC off - you don't need to, it's off by default and you have to specifically turn it on for each recording. You can pad out the record end time by pressing the "Green" button, to add +10, +20, +30 minutes or pressing again gives "VPS/PDC".

base_uk

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure the problem lies with broadcasters tho, I watched last night to see if it started in time, the programme came on at the right time but the unit was too busy b*&gering about displaying 'Timer Ready' messages!!?!? It wouldn't even let me cancel and start manually at this point!!! I leave it set to the highest quality recording option, does this take longer to kick off maybe??

I cycled through the timer extension times and I don't get the VPS/PDC option?!?!

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom