sony rdr hxd870 set up with sky (guide plus)

S

sp@rks

right im new to this guys and could really do with some help.

i bought the 870 and it is connected to a sony kdl20s2020 with hdmi, and the 870 is connected to a amstrad sky box with a scart lead out from the sky tv/scart to the line 1 decoder in the 870.

do i need to use the vcr/scart out from the sky box?

i only have the sky feed coming in, no standard aerial so cant use the digital freeview listing.

basically when i do guide plus set up it all goes fine, switches the sky box to 101 and asks to wait for the programme guide, but it never happens?

also my postcode is only 6 characters not 7 will this affect the guide plus tv listings?

what do i need i need to do, am i doing wrong?

HELP! :lease:

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

Sp@rks, are you saying that the dvd recorder links in with the SKY channel listings? If so, does it then allow you to record a program on SKY simply by selecting it in the DVD recorder tv listings (hope that makes sense!)?

I've been wondering how I schedule a program to record from sky so any help appreciated.

See this page about Guide plus:

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/En/help/countries_hostchannels.html

If you look to the bottom about the uk you will see that guideplus is normally delivered via itv... ie via UHF aerial.... so you have to use eurosport.

Presumably there will be a setting in menus on the machine to tell it to check there for the epg... albeit I've not looked this up.... but the details should be in your manual.

So, just to clarify, if I had this recorder and told it to look at Eurosport to get the channels, would the recorder then have my full SKY channel listings?

So, just to clarify, if I had this recorder and told it to look at Eurosport to get the channels, would the recorder then have my full SKY channel listings?

Yes , I believe so... but hopefully, sp@rks will be able to try it and confirm.

ive tried linking it to eurosport but when i turn the 870 off all it does is switches the skybox to eurosport and still downloads nothing?

i dont know if my connections are wrong though?

and once it switches to eurosport, do i need to leave it on that channel for 24 hours?

See the notes in the manual on the bottom left of page 64.

You may have to wait for up to 24 Hours after initial set up.

I note that at the top of page 63 , it says Guideplus is for analogue broadcasts only.

See the notes in the manual on the bottom left of page 64.

You may have to wait for up to 24 Hours after initial set up.

I note that at the top of page 63 , it says Guideplus is for analogue broadcasts only.

leave it on that channel for 24 hours?

Haver you been through the procedure to set eurosport as the Guideplus channel as set out on page 69?

are my connections right? which scart output should i use from the sky box?

The TV scart will give you a better quality output [ RGB]

Also see the notes on page 153 in regard to guideplus and how long you may have to wait for data.

ok but my sky box has 2 scart outputs, tvscart and vcr scart which should i use?

The TV scart .. and connect it to line 1 of the DVDR and follow the setting details on page 34

ok tried that but does it matter what programme/channel number i use?

I don't think so. Provided you have the G link controller connected [ I'm assuming you have ] as set out on page 17, [ and notes on page 15 ] then when you turn off the 870, it will take control of the skybox and switch channels when it needs to to get the necessary information.

Howdy, I have exactly the same problem.

My HXD870 is connected to the SkyBox via Scart. To the tv via HDMI. No analogue signal.

Followed all the instructions to manually set the Host Channel of the Guide Plus to Eurosport. It succesfully changes to the channel, and the front display says "EPG". But when I go to guide 24 hours later, it still says nothing and has downloaded nothing.

I've left it for two nights now and I'm very confused. Am I missing something tucked away in the recorded settings?

The SkyBox is a Panasonic.

Anyone know if the HXD870 can record when it's in the Sky planner? I had a Panasonic HDD recorder which had an "external link" function which let it record when the SkyBox went to a channel to "auto view".

Any tips? Obvious mistakes?

Ok, now, maybe the damn thing is going to have to go back.
As before, Scart Line-in 1 from TVScart out of SkyBox.
GuidePlus manually set to channel 410 for Eurosport.
Left for 24hrs, while the box went into "EPG" mode, changed channel to 410 Eurosport.
Now, a message comes up as I switch on the machine saying it couldn't find the Host Channel and therefore couldn't download etc.
Suggests using the Digital Freeview guide, which of course I cannot not having a regular aerial.

What am I to do? Followed the manual, instructions, the tips on this thread, now what? Help!

Tune the sky box to eurosport and hit the teletext button on your TV and see if europort teletext appears. If not you will never get any guideplus data as it is carried on the teletext feed. My panasonic box was like this, perfect sky picture but no teletext and also no guideplus data. I reset the sky box and hey presto the teletext data appeared and my guideplus downloads started working. Unfortunately after a couple of days the teletext stopped coming through again. This is a known problem with some sky boxes. In the end I upgraded my ariel and get my guideplus data from analoge ITV, but that isn't much use to you. I think some sky boxes are better than others. My old thomson box had no problems at all passing the guideplus data through, it just has a wonky picture.

I have the same Sony machine connected to a regular Sky box. Couple of problems at first then it started working. A month or so ago it lost all of the listings, I tried everything to get them back then they suddenly appeared after I had given up and not touched anything for a few days.

Now they are gone again?!??!?!

I am getting the message when I switch it on saying that the channel is wrong (it isn't). I'm sure it must be a problem at guideplus's end, but their web site refuses to give out contact details, just denies all responsibility!!!!!

Any advice greatfull recieved!!! It loses my recording schedule when I try resetting it :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom