Sony RDR-HXD870 recording from sky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pixibelle, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Pixibelle

Pixibelle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Today I had Sky installed and I have read a lot of different threads about connecting it all up. I am getting Sky through the DVD recorder but for some reason I can only get one analogue channel on the search - it is whatever Sky channel is currently being transmitted. I can record it, but obviously not do any kind of timer recording. Am I right in believing that 1) I can only do timer recordings from Sky using Guide plus? and that i should keep my link to my old aerial to make guideplus work. I am completley confused by Guide plus - at the moment it is only showing one channel(the one I am on I think). It may populate overnight, but I do not hold out great hopes, as when I tired to set it up, I selected satellite and sky in the options & it sent a code but the channel did not change. I am not sure what is meant to happen here.

As you can tell I am very new to this.

I hope I have connected everything up right. The sky man connected the TV to the skybox and the skybox to the DVD recorder, both by Scart. I also have a DVD in the link (just for recording old VHS tapes onto DVD's). The TV is connected to the DVD recorder by HDMI cable. I have also re-connected the aerial bales between the TV, VHS, DVD recorder (analogue input and output) and skybox.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated.

Angela

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    the guideplus faq thread is here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654255 and normally uses eurosport on sky or itv on terrestrial

as for sky , it appears that you should use the tv scart on the sky box to the dvd recorder line 1 input , then another scart if you wish to the tv ( or composite , or component , or hdmi ) depending on the tv used of course from line 3 output to a scart input on the tv , or just use your HDMI from sony recorder to the tv , but you may need the scart for the extra smartlink functions

also another scart lead from the sky box to tv so you can watch sky when the box is recording freeview etc

as for the coax aerial , I would link it like this

wall aerial to sony digital in , sony digital out to sky coax aerial in , sky rf1 ( or rf2 ) out to vcr input , vcr output to sony analogue aerial in , sony analogue aerial out to tv aerial input

this gives the sony digital the best signal for the aerial , then adds in the sky signal , then goes to the vcr rf input if using one , then out to the sony analogue input , then out to the tv , tune sky in on channel 6 after the usual channels on the sony and on the tv , and the vcr on ch7 or ch0 as appropriate , job done

so its

aerial - sony digital - sky box - vcr - sony analogue - tv

now you have 2 choices to record sky

1) the analogue single rf on channel 6 on the sony

2) the line 1 scart input on the sony , which is a better picture

the vcr may need linking in using the front line 2 using phono leads if you havent got a way of using a scart due to no more inputs , and may need a scart lead or phono leads to the tv as well

as for recording , the guideplus will let the sony change over the sky box ( if the box is supported ) by using the supplied infra red adapter in front of the sky IR sensor and usually using sky`s eurosport channel

and you can always set the sky box to the channel you wish to record , and do it manually or using the timer function instead of the guideplus

you will only get the one analogue rf channel from the skybox , and only one channel on the scart too

if not using the standard aerial , then start along the chain I wrote at the appropriate point ( the sky box )

3. stuart5413

stuart5413
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony RDR-HXD870 today but am having a bit of trouble setting it up. I have seen this thread and also AJBek's 'How to set up guideplus with a sky box' (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654255). I am a bit confused about the connections mentioned in that thread however because it is refers to 'Line 2' on Sony, but mine only has 'Line 1 / Decoder' and 'Line 3 - TV'.

If someone could put me straight that would be great. I have tried various set ups but haven't quite got it to work. At one point it seemed to be sending a code through the G-Link to the Sky box but not the '101' it should have been. As I watched the in-screen Sky in the top left corner during set up it appeared to be sending '1' then '0' then something else which made the Sky say 'Channel unavailable' in red and then another '1'.

I can't seem to get that to happen again since I changed my connections. These are currently:-

1) Scart lead from 'TV Scart' on the Sky box to 'Line 1 / Decoder' on the 870.
    2) Scart lead from 'Line 3 - TV' on the 870 to the TV.
    3) Aerial feed from roof into 'Digital aerial in' on the 870.
    4) RF lead from 'Digital aerial out' on the 870 to 'Analogue aerial in' on the 870.
    5) RF lead from 'Analogue aerial out' on the 870 to the TV.

I also want to connect an HDMI cable from the 870 to the TV but I have taken that out for now until I can get the basics right!

I guess I would prefer to use Analogue ITV as the host channel for the guideplus since it is supposed to be more reliable.

Sorry if this question has already been asked but I have got a bit confused with the whole thing.

4. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I cannot advise on guideplus as I use the digital epg , but the connections seem correct , apart from you havent incorporated the rf of the sky box , if you needed it

and it appears you can use the analogue terrestrial channel to host guideplus , or eurosport on satellite

so line 1 is the sky input to the recorder , and line 3 is the output to the tv , and you should get everything right before using the hdmi cable as you say

5. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Yeah I wrote the guideplus thread, but I have a pioneer not a sony so didn't know what they called their connectons. I tried to get the connections from the sony website which seemed to suggest line one was the TV scart and line 2 was the ext device / decoder scart. Now it appears line 1 is the ext decoder scart and line 3 is the TV scart. I have changed the guide to reflect this. Hope it is right this time.

6. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    excellent m8 , thanks for that clarification , and its an excellent guide too

one thing I am not sure about with guideplus is if there are any guideplus host channels on freeview ?

or does the analogue tuner need incorporating as well as the digital tuner so that the analogue tv channels can be used as the host channels ?

7. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Hi mate, at the moment you must have the analogue tuner connected and tuned in to receive analogue ITV as the guideplus data is carried on the analogue teletext signal. The only other way to get it is from sky or cable eurosport which also has an "analogue" teletext page. At the moment there is no way to get guideplus data from a digital station. However recently gemstar announced a deal with a digital TV broadcaster to supply guideplus data via their digital channel (not sure what one it was). Unfortunately the article seemed to suggest you would need new hardware to pick up the guideplus data this way i.e. all the current devices we have will not be able to!! I have been since told that a firmware update may allow current machines to become compatible so fingers crossed for the future.

8. stuart5413

stuart5413
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your useful advice.
    I found that after leaving it to download the programme guide overnight it also downloaded some additional control codes (one of which works with my Sky box).

I found this useful piece of info on the Sony website (
    http://support.sony-europe.com/faq/print/faq_print.asp?l=en&c=hav&f=gemstar_en&m)

"However I have found that when the GUIDE Plus+ system has to change to a channel with a 3-digit programme number in the external receiver's preset, it does not work. It looks like the GUIDE Plus+ system can only send two digits. With the number of channels increasing, the number of digits has increased as well. While older boxes use only 2 digits, newer boxes require up to 4.

It is possible that you selected an older code for your brand during Setup.

Please use the up and right arrows on your remote control to access the Setup area in the main menu bar.
    • Select : External Receiver.
    • Repeat the Setup for your brand. (Note : Every time you see the on-screen question about whether the receiver has changed to a certain channel, the GUIDE Plus+ unit has sent a different code.)
    • Try all the different codes until your GUIDE Plus+ system can control your external receiver correctly."
    It seems like it had more codes to try after it has downloaded the programme guide - the second one I tried worked fine.

I'm now up and running - a great piece of kit!