SONY RDR-HXD870 - playing .avi / Divx / Xvid files

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Corvus, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Corvus

Corvus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I recently bought a SONY RDR-HXD870 DVD hard-drive recorder. So far so good. But my question is this...

Is it possible to watch .avi / DivX or Xvid files that are stored on an external hard-drive connected through the USB?

So far I am able to view photos and listen to music that I have stored on the Extra Hard-drive, but there doesn't seem to be an interface for locating and viewing video files.
    I understand the player is able to read and play .avi / DivX or Xvid files but as yet the only way I can see this to be done is if those files are burned onto a DVD then played through the player. This, however, defeats the object of having videos stored on a hard-drive. I don't want to have to burn a new dvd everytime I want to watch a video through the player on my TV!

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Thankyou

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid you are scuppered.

It is only photos and music that can be listened / watched or copied to the hard drive.

You may find some additional information on page 161 / 2 of the manual about DivX files.

3. Corvus

Corvus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought as much!

Cheers dude :smashin:

4. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The Samsung SH853/855 does what you ask from external hdd and does it well. For mp3's - no id-tags but I think that is the same with the Sony.

But I wouldn't risk a hdd crashing and loosing the lot.

The 855 has many bugs that I don't like.

Most people have stacks divx movies and tv series stored on cd/dvd and that is the best way to do it considering the price of dvd's around 20p.

20p will store 6-7 movies.

I would prefer the Sony over the Samsung.