• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Sony RDR-HXD870 DivX Play back?

thelawns

Novice Member
Well the question is in the title really. Does the Sony RDR-HXD870 play DivX files? I have searched but can't see any mention of it, yet the Sony RDR-HXD970 appears to do so, is that correct?

Thanks

EDIT: Are these 870's any good, there seem to be multiple posts about timer recording failures and the machines freezing!?!

base_uk

Standard Member
Not tried it, but the manual says it does!!

Only had it a week and a bit, but it's good so far!!! I started a thread asking for help with it not recording the whole program with Guideplus, that seems to have resolved itself. And the unit froze itself once but appears to have been a one off. It does so much, I think it is just a case of figuring it all out and setting it up the best way possible...

zed0

The 970 definately does. I use that feature quite a bit.

As far as I'm aware the 870 is identical to the 970 apart from disk size.

The Sorcerer

Well the question is in the title really. Does the Sony RDR-HXD870 play DivX files? I have searched but can't see any mention of it, yet the Sony RDR-HXD970 appears to do so, is that correct?

Thanks

EDIT: Are these 870's any good, there seem to be multiple posts about timer recording failures and the machines freezing!?!

If you look at the thread "Holding out for the Sony RDR-HXD870", I'm sure you'll find the answer to this and, in fact, everything you ever needed to know, and more, about the 870 - including the answer to your question, which incidentally, is yes :)

Searching the forums for the words "HXD870" and "Divx" (without the quotes) returned 71 results, most of which are from that same thread so it would seem that you didn't search very hard :(

thelawns

Novice Member
Thanks to you all for your responses...

Searching the forums for the words "HXD870" and "Divx" (without the quotes) returned 71 results, most of which are from that same thread so it would seem that you didn't search very hard :(

On the contrary, I did, but could not find mention specifically about the 870, only the 970... Also, searching a few retail website specs, they said the 970 did but the 870 only had basic info... :rolleyes:

[email protected]

Novice Member
Yes it does play DivX, you have to register on the internet and then key in the code you receive in the menu of the HDDDVD Recorder

The Sorcerer

Yes it does play DivX, you have to register on the internet and then key in the code you receive in the menu of the HDDDVD Recorder

That's only if you want to buy Divx movies from Divx.com or .org or whatever it is. It plays any Divx movies that you may already have "out of the box" as the saying goes.

thelawns

Novice Member
Well I have ordered one and it will be with me tomorrow! :thumbsup: :clap:

Thanks again for all your help... ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom