Sony RDR-HXD870 – High Pitch Noise

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Anthony_SWE, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Anthony_SWE

Anthony_SWE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve recently brought a Sony RDR-HXD870 recorder and I’m interested to know whether other owners have noticed a high pitch noise from their units when in use? The noise is constant, regardless whether I’m just watching freeview channels or movies from DVD’s. The noise is very distinctive and obvious, particularly when you turn-on the unit and switch it off again. It sounds like if the hard drive is constantly in use…so I’m assuming that the noise originates from the hard drive though it could also be coming from the in-built fan.

Is this normal??

I’m wondering whether it is possible to place the hard drive in some sort of stand-by mode (when you’re not recording or playing from the harddrive), without placing the whole unit in stand-by mode to see if the high pitch noise disappears?

Thanks in advance,
    Anthony

2. JojoBar

JojoBar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I don't know if it's normal or not, but no such noise (no noise at all ...) with mine.
    First it depends on the disk : the Seagate Barracuda is known to be noisy when the WD caviar (mine) is quite ! So that I don't know if the disk is constantly spinning :)
    So I don't think it's due to fan anyway.
    Have a test : on a table, open your HXD and have a hear directly over the disk unit when turned on.

3. starling

starling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm on my 2nd 870 and I had this problem with the 1st one I had. The replacement model is ok though and although you can still hear the fan, the high pitch noise is now gone.

I'm still having problems with certain channels breaking up though. Must be the weak tuners they have in the machines.

4. spoon261

spoon261
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    It would be nice to see a photo of the inside of the Sony.

Does it only have one fan?

Does it look replaceable?
    I assume it’s a 60mm computer fan.
    What thickness is it / does it look like the case can support any thickness?
    Is their a standard computer power connector?

I assume it does not have a temperature sensor in the fan blades?

This is what I no about my Sony 870.

When you switch it on, the hardrive powers up first, I can only hear it spinning up and clicking a few times, then its silent. I think I also hear the DVD click a couple of times as well.

After around 30 seconds or so, I can hear the fan switch on, this is wear all the noise comes from mine.

When you switch the machine in to standby, the hardrive powers down first, then several seconds later, the fan switches off.

I can easily get to the back of my sony, the fan seems to be pushing a lot of air and the air is warm.
    The fan does create noise and there is a bit of high pitched whine, but the whine depends on how sensitive your ears are. You are more likely to hear the lower frequency’s from it.

If I do a high speed dub to a 4 speed DVD, the fan spins massively faster immediately while dubbing.