Sony RDR-HXD860S - Sky Aspect switching?

Shady Deal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone got this to work yet? I have my SkyHD box from TV scart to Line 3 of the recorder. Line one of the recorder to RGB scart on the TV.

I also have the recorder connected via component which I mainly use for watching.

All I seem to get is 4:3 on the screen!! I have tried every setting I can find but the aspect switch does not happen. (Tried altering the scart settings on my Sky box - makes no odds.

Does anyone have a ideas how to get round this problem!!

(I realise the big thread touches on this, but I think this "Feature" needs it's own thread!!

Thanks

All I can think of.
1. The Sky box will only effect the connection between itself and the DVD recorder and that assumes that the DVD recorder does aspect switching on its Scart input.
2. There will be no onward switching from the recorder to the TV, all I suggest is that the recorder ou is set to 16:9 not any 4:3 seeting.

Hi,
Has anyone got this to work yet? I have my SkyHD box from TV scart to Line 3 of the recorder. Line one of the recorder to RGB scart on the TV.

I also have the recorder connected via component which I mainly use for watching.

All I seem to get is 4:3 on the screen!! I have tried every setting I can find but the aspect switch does not happen. (Tried altering the scart settings on my Sky box - makes no odds.

Does anyone have a ideas how to get round this problem!!

(I realise the big thread touches on this, but I think this "Feature" needs it's own thread!!

Thanks

I think this is a known issue. I logged it with Sony when I got my 860 - they acknowledged it - asking for a few additional bits of info - but I've heard nothing since. I suspect that it is a hardware issue that Sony messed up on. (I plugged in my NS76H DVD player and the 860 picked up its WSS. My older GXD500 picks up the WSS as well. So it's definately a specfic 860/Sky issue.)

However WSS should be passed through the 860 to your TV so when it is in standby or after pressing TV/DVD to switch to Sky's "control" everything should be OK. It's only when viewing through Line 3 should 16:9 be squashed.

Although a pain it is quite simple to get around. Instead of leaving the recording aspect as auto you need to change it to 16:9 when recording a widescreen programme. (4:3 programming isn't a problem of course.) The 860 will stretch the 16:9 Sky picture and record it with a widescreen flag.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom