Sony RDR-HXD860

juoo

Standard Member
Does anybody know if this recorder is going to have digital optical output for the audio?

I know the Panasonic DMR-EX75 has this but are there any others in the £250-£400 region?

The reason I prefer this is because my amp does not have digital coax in.

Thanks

marty2005

Novice Member
Strange, I started a thread on the Sony HXD860 a few weeks ago but it seems to have vanished.

k-spin

I cannot find much information on the RDR-HXD860 but, according to the user manual, the cheaper RDR-HXD560 only has a coaxial digital output for audio.

juoo

Standard Member
Thanks K-Spin, the hxd560 manual gave the clue, I have now purchased the HXD860 and it does indeed only have Digital Coax Output. Shame as their higher models previously had this.

Any body know how much quality a Digital Coax to Optical converter will lose. I can get one off Maplin for £16 including deliv.

drpatterson

Novice Member
I've usually had better results from coax than optical anyway, get yourself a decent cable and you'll probably find the same. Unless you're short on amp inputs there's not much point in going optical.

nicp01

Novice Member
I cannot find much information on the RDR-HXD860 but, according to the user manual, the cheaper RDR-HXD560 only has a coaxial digital output for audio.
Neither can I, Ive searched ...would you call the 860 as good as the ex95?
the 860s c£329 and the ex95 c£475... I just want to replace my sky+160 with an hdmi freeview pvr dvd recorder...whats the big difference??

drpatterson

Novice Member
I've got an 860 delivered last night so if have any questions ask away, as I recall it has only coax for audio I can check when I get home.

The 860 at first glance seems very good, easy to set up and use, good picture quality on freeview, responsive remote. The EPG is not quite as good as that on my Sony VT800 STB but its close. Not really had much time to play yet but initial impressions are positive. I'm coming from VHS so anything would be an improvement really...

Knox

Novice Member
The RDRHXD760 has two digital audio connections:

Audio
• D/A Converter: 192kHz/24bit Audio DAC
• Audio Formats: CD/MP3/DVD
Interfaces
• DV Input (i-Link): x 1
• S-Video Input: x 3 (2 Front, 1 Rear)
• Video In: x 2
• Component Video Out: x 1
• S-Video Out: x 1
• Video Out: x 1
• Audio out: x 1
• Optical Digital Audio Out: x 1
• Coaxial Digital Audio Out: x 1

I have 760 manual from the internet
The 760 and 860 not yet available here in Australia
So I’m avidly following all the threads about them
:)

juoo

Standard Member
It's a shame that the HXD860 couldn't have had that optical output too, I don't know whether Sony have any plans for the HXD760 over here in the UK or whether it's just Australia specific.

Have to say that I'm very impressed with the HXD860 so far though, it can do all I wanted from the machine (ignoring the Optical output thing).
Picture quality is excellent for both viewing and recordings.

Anybody know when Freeview are releasing this series link stuff?

Knox

Novice Member
I agree with drpatterson :thumbsup:

To my knowledge, as a hi-fi buff for many years, optical was always considered - 'not hi-fi'
Adequate for general use but not for hi-fi quality sound

This may be the reason Sony do not include it in their high end DVD recorder

Top Bottom