Sony RDR-HXD860 - what is the point ?

G

gandhikid

I just got my hands on one of these. The model claims to be divx & jpeg compliant so i was kind of assuming that it would be compliant for playing those formats from the hdd (after dubbing from a dvd) or from a dvd directly. It appears (to me at least) that the HDD serves 2 purposes :

1. For recording direct from source (tuner/input)
2. For dubbing only of dvd video that has been burnt on the device itself (as it does this via the title menu) - imho this is of little value, why would you need 160gb of space to store dvd video which you had already burnt to dvd on the very same device - except for a library i guess, in which case why not just burn straight to HDD.

My point is, I would like (for example) to store my divx movies and jpegs on the HDD but there is no way to get them on there (it seems). Can't see i'll need more than 40gb with it's current functionality - in my case this would just be for recording the odd tv program for later viewing.

Cheekster

Pretty sure the HDD is not for transfering/storing DivX files and such like. It is for transfering say camcorder footage before editing then recording onto disc. Plus of course for recording tv programmes. Although you may not wish to record more than the odd programme, I'm sure the majority of people who have purchased this or indeed any other HDD/DVD Recorder with a built-in large HDD, will!

Cheekster.

bigtim

Pretty sure the HDD is not for transfering/storing DivX files and such like. It is for transfering say camcorder footage before editing then recording onto disc. Plus of course for recording tv programmes. Although you may not wish to record more than the odd programme, I'm sure the majority of people who have purchased this or indeed any other HDD/DVD Recorder with a built-in large HDD, will!

Cheekster.
Indeed Cheeks, now setting mine to record films, rugby games and specials over Christmas - that 160gb will soon fill up as I use the HQ setting.

It is a shame that Dvix movies, MP3s and JPEG files can't be transferred to the Hard disk, but it's also a shame it does't have:

• a usb port for connecting external drives
  • an Ethernet connection for streaming to/from a PC/NAS
  • the ability to play and output HD files (including .ts, Divx, H.264)
  • another digital tuner
  • recording to the HD without decoding/re-encoding the TS
  • A recordable HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive
If it did, it'd be the perfect device!

Seriously, there are always more features you'd want. It does do quite a lot for one little box though and replaced 3 boxes for me (DVD player, freeview box and the laptop connected by Svideo-SCART that I used for recording and playing back TV)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom