Sony RDR-HXD860 EPG & Series Link problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by n1ckster, Jan 9, 2008.

1. n1ckster

n1ckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi.

I have the Sony RDR-HXD860S hard drive recorder with built in freeview, and am having a few problems recently with the EPG and Series Link functions.

Just recently I have set the unit to record a number of programs on various digital channels and selected the series link option where it has been available, only to return to the epg a day or so later to find that it has un-series linked it and erased the recording timer for those programmes.

Coupled with this, the unit has started to randomly record other programs (mostly on Channel 4 as it happens) and successfully series links them!!??!! I have a whole series of tv shows about the Pussy Cat Dolls (wtf?) and celebrity World Series Poker ??

I think the unit has the latest version of firmware installed, v10 iirc and is set to receive updates automatically.

FYI the signal for all the channels (that we watch) is 100% and there are no reported bit errors. I'm guessing that this is good.

Has anybody else experienced these quirks with this unit, or can anybody offer any potential explanations and fixes? So far I have rescanned for channels and have the latest firmware installed. The box itself was new in Oct 07.

Regards, Nick

2. beejoan

beejoan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having similar problems too. A programme or two were deleted from my recording list. I thought it was my memory or I had done it accidentally, but then (12 January) I caught it recording something I did not set it to record and which would have overlapped with something I did want. And when I checked the timer programmes there was another programme I hadn't set.

I bought mine in December 2006 and have had no trouble at all til now.

3. Tonto_1969

Tonto_1969
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am having problems - retuning worked the first two times but hasn't worked again since.

If anyone does find out how to overcome this problem - please post the resolution here.

Many thanks.

4. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Are you just having problems with series link etc on Channel 4? I currently only have one programme on series link (on BBC One) and that is working fine at the moment. I am also not aware of any recordings going missing. My software version is v.1.01.10 CE

If you let me know what particular programme you're having a problem with I could try to record it and see if I get the same issue.

5. Tonto_1969

Tonto_1969
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers
    My software is also the same as yours. Problem is now getting worse - the wife wants to record eastenders and when you programme via the EPG the screen says timer set, but then the recorder sign disappears and then it fails to record.
    This is on all channels, although it first started on Channels 4 and 5.

6. enemsea

enemsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem as Tonto. Did anyone discover how to fix it?

7. Troy McLure

Troy McLure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this problem for about a year amongst other problems like the software not updating and it switching itself off etc. generally the worst buy I've ever made.

Anyway, the only way I've managed to resolve it is by unplugging it and leaving it for a minute and then the epg recording seems to be ok then for a day or two.

8. carcher

carcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My 860 has started doing this too, never had a problem since I got it a few years ago until the re-tune a few weeks ago

For example, if I series link waterloo road it also records holby city. I seems to think it's the same program.

If I try to series link FLash Forward, it records every instance of it on any channel, which has stoped other porgrams recording on other channels.

You can get around it by recording each program individualy, or seting a non-series link repeating timer, but it's a real pain.:thumbsdow

9. AvengingAngel67

AvengingAngel67
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I set my Sony RDR-HXD860 to record "Miranda" on BBC2 on series link (Monday 8.30pm) and it recorded the programme, but changed to "Armstrong and Miller" series link in the timer list! Sony will have to come up with a fix for this problem. Have you ever tried to contact Sony about firmware updates for this model? It's virtually impossible. My sister and Aunt have earlier 80gb Sony machines and are experiencing similar problems.:thumbsdow

10. carcher

carcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've contacted them about this via their support area on there website, but had no reply.

11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    there was a problem with a few of the models after the update recently(freeviews fault not sony's) which there is a fix now:thumbsup:

just do a re-scan and it should sort the epg problem out:smashin:

12. AvengingAngel67

AvengingAngel67
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks again, Kourosh. Will give it another go.

13. AvengingAngel67

AvengingAngel67
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Sorry Kourosh, but your advice didn't work. I'm still having problems setting the series timer. It's setting the wrong programme and day.

14. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    will get on to the engineers tomorrow and find out if there is a fix for the series timer:smashin:

15. RussM

RussM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, an excellent forum. I also have a Sony HXD860 and subsequent to the recent required retunes am also experiencing problems with the EPG getting lost.
    Pressing the 'list' button brings up the correct programmes, but pressing 'information' brings up info in relation to a past programme almost as if it cant keep up with the present time.

I've tried retuning via DTV settings, after resetting to 'factory setup' - 'all' and powering off in between.

Firmware in v10.

Cheers
    Russ

16. cr355

cr355
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have one of these units and up until say the last 2 months it has been faultless. Now I am getting 'Unresolved' in the EPG, it is recording programmes I haven't set it to and is missing recording what I do set it to. I am at the point I cannot trust it and about to bin it (bought around 2006) - it would appear it is inherent with the unit as there seems a lot of people with the very same issues. Like everyone, I'd like to know exactly why this is happening. :lease:

17. branston14

branston14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This is also happening to me. All problems have started since the retune from the switch over.
    Can't help thinking it must be an EPG Freeview problem rather than the unit itself.

18. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    You need to retune the players........when freeview had there recent update,after re-tuning all freeview equipment where showing 105 stations! now 5 of them where blank.
    These blank stations where causing the problem with the recorders,now an update was made available at the begining of last week.
    So now when you re-tune the players you will see 98 channels found...the 5 that was causing the problem are now gone!!

19. branston14

branston14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sure I've retuned mine since then. But will try again tonight.
    Cheers.

20. cr355

cr355
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have done this several times and a factory reset and power cycled but the problem still persists. :thumbsdow

21. emeraldbugle

emeraldbugle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Same problem here. The guide was fine last night, reset all my series links. Tonight it says 'no event information' for every channel. All the series links are showing as 'unresolved'. Tried to set the timer again and when I return to the guide it shows the red record symbol, which then disappears!

Grrr, really starting to annoy me.

22. RussM

RussM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep same here as I said all my retunes power cycling etc have been since the retunes; tried again on Sat night and still the same. Grrrr:thumbsdow

Only way to record is manually via 'timer list', 'options', 'timer', gets the job done but a long way round and have to name programmes once thay are recorded.:(

Any other ideas as how to resolve greatly appreciated.

Russ

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  23. cr355

cr355
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other strange thing I have noticed is; when I check the EPG from the DVD it will indicate and display info for example a programme currently on air 20:00 to 21:00 when in fact the actual time is 21:20 but the programme that is actually on the tv started at 21:00 so the EPG times are certainly incorrect which could explain why the dvd is throwing a wobbly. My s/w is 1.01.10ce which I believe is the latest - absolutely didley squat on the sony support site for this model although they have a fix for the 870 with a statement around this problem for that DVD recorder. :mad::mad::mad:

24. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    i will have to speak to the engineers again guys,as it looks its not sorted:(

has anyones machine been better after the re-scan?

25. carcher

carcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Problem and I was told that there is no problem with the recorder; it is a problem with the broadcaster, sending the wrong series link information. :facepalm:

I then asked, if the problem is caused by the broadcaster, why are all makes of PVR's and HDD recorders affected? She went very quiet, then went to talk to her manager, and then advised me to take my unit into a service repair centre. What a waste of time!

26. Holdensredhat

Holdensredhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having this issue too.

It is a real problem. Trying to record Flash Forward and Trueblood is a joke. Last night it recorded Flashforward on Fiver (and on every other day since last Monday!) but not on 5, the one I set it for on series link. Has anyone made any progress on this issue? Pretty disappointed with this product now.

Thanks

David

27. n1ckster

n1ckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have retuned several times and am still experiencing the same issues. Again, I think this is something to do with the switch over rather than the device itself.

It is quite frustrating when it misses a series linked episode!!:mad:

28. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    sometimes they are rebroadcast at another time or date , and can usually be had in divx form from the net quite easily

however , one way around it is to remove the series link option in the timer and change the recording mode to say EVERY MONDAY for programs like flash forward that hopefully do not change time slots , and you can pad the before and after times accordingly in case of discrepancies in the epg recording signal

my flash forward is set along with the gadget show for say 1959 to 2210 EVERY MON so I get both programs , then split the recording by dividing it afterwards

29. carcher

carcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well if there's no fix soon, i'm off to buy a Topfield instead! Never record anything on DVD anyway!

30. lowbatt65

lowbatt65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another disgruntled 860 user here. It's been flawless until the recent switchover, but now it can't be trusted. Everytime I switch it on the timer list is unresolved and huge chunks of the EPG are empty.

Very very frustrating.