Sony RDR-HXD795 - how do I title a DVD?

DougIrons

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have just purchased this recorder and found it all very confusing so I may be on here rather a lot! Firstly I have attempted to record a video on to the dvd and this seemed to go OK. However when I look in the title list there is just one entry which is untitled. I then followed the title instructions and having gone through the procedure I still find the disc remains "untitled". So what am I doing wrong? Please help someone.

Have just purchased this recorder and found it all very confusing so I may be on here rather a lot! Firstly I have attempted to record a video on to the dvd and this seemed to go OK. However when I look in the title list there is just one entry which is untitled. I then followed the title instructions and having gone through the procedure I still find the disc remains "untitled". So what am I doing wrong? Please help someone.

Welcome to the forum.

Note that finalised discs can not be written to and so it is not possible to change the contents of the disc - such as retitling.

If the disc is a write once disc [-R] it cannot be unfinalised.

A RW disc can be unfinalised and this would have to be done first if you wish to write further to the disc.

If the disc has not been finalised it should be possible to go to the title list, select the title, navigate to the right to take you to a submenu, Choose 'Edit title'

a better option would be to record to the internal hdd of the unit first choosing a suitable recording mode like SP or similar

then do titling and any editing of each set of footage individually on the hdd

then compile a selection to fastdub to a -r dvd disk , and title it in the finalisation process

Hi, thanks for your reply. The disc I used was a DVD-RW. I have not finalised it as the manual states I do not need to do that to play on my recorder, only necessary if playing on other equipment. So all I did was to run the recording, then attempt to add a title. This was easy enough but it just doesn't seem to save the title. Did I use the wrong dvd or is it just me being thick? I have tried going to edit title, but it just tells me the disc is untitled.

the disk will be titled in the finalisation process

the track can be titled by editing it in the title menu

ideally you record to hdd , title the track ( the recording ) , fastdub to disk , and title the disk at that finalisation

Thank you Ramjet. So to get this totally clear in my head (because I have got so confused, grim getting old!) what I need to do now is finalise the disc. Then the title will appear in the title list? I am a bit confused over the difference between titling the track and titling the recording though.

Last edited:
Thank you Ramjet. So to get this totally clear in my head (because I have got so confused, grim getting old!) what I need to do now is finalise the disc. Then the title will appear in the title list?

it should do , but I dont use my recorders that way anyway

the point here is that the internal hdd is an instant read/write medium , and so tracks can be edited , titled , divided , chapter points added etc , so its a far more flexible system than a dvdr disk , as on a disk you cannot overwrite what is there , so every change you make is added to the system and dealt with at finalisation

the trick here is to stop using the dvd disks and use the hdd to get your footage sorted , and then fastdub to a -r disk and finalise it with title , menus etc at the end

personally , I use the +rw disks in video mode , and then copy to a pc hdd , and author , title and burn my final disks that way , finalised of course , this gives greater control and more flexibility of the finished product

so try finalising the disk as you have nothing to lose , but in future set the machine to video mode and not vr mode , and record to the hdd in all instances , make the required changes you want like chapters , track titles etc , and use the -r disk to finish the product using fastdub and finalisation

Hi, thanks for your reply. The disc I used was a DVD-RW. I have not finalised it as the manual states I do not need to do that to play on my recorder, only necessary if playing on other equipment. So all I did was to run the recording, then attempt to add a title. This was easy enough but it just doesn't seem to save the title. Did I use the wrong dvd or is it just me being thick? I have tried going to edit title, but it just tells me the disc is untitled.

I don't understand why it's not saving your title edit changes.
When you're in the "Input Title Name" section, press and hold "Clear" for a few seconds to get rid of the existing title name (which should be the time and date) and when you've finished naming your title using the on screen keyboard, press and hold "Stop" on the remote to save the changes.

With a title highlighted in the title list, repeated pressing of "Display" on the remote will toggle the title name between just your own created title name and the time and date + your title name.

Sadly I continue to be confused. I have just put the dvd in question back into the recorder. Pressing the title button produces an "untitled". I then am unable to edit because I get the untitled message again. However, if I go into naming the disc through the system menu and get to the screen with the alphabet in - I can see that the disc has already been named as I wanted. It just wont appear on the title list and therefore I am unable to play it.

I then looked at finalising the dvd and got a message saying it would take 29 minutes so I didn't do it. I am lost.

The fact is that the machine has obviously named the dvd, so why does it not appear on the title list?

Last edited:
I am also confused

I have no idea why you are trying this on the disk when it should all be done on the hdd as I said earlier

you will find my advice works and is simple to use and follow

hdd for all the work , fastdub to dvd -r disk and finalise at the very end , job done

As I have said - I am new to all this and my illogical mind (or so it seems) suggested that if I wanted to record a dvd then I did it the way I have. I totally accept this may be the wrong way to go about it, but as a novice, how am I to know. However, surely I should still be able to see a title in the list which is already showing up when I look at the dvd through the system menu/ name a dvd. Sorry if everyone is getting fed up with my stupidity, I think I probably made a big mistake in purchasing this as I am totally out of my depth.

actually you have a very good product , but you have to learn the basics and ground rules , nothing wrong with that

what you are trying to do is not really possible on a dvd disk as I said earlier , which is why you would use the correct medium of the internal hdd for proper editing

so record to the hdd , do the editing and titling of tracks on there , and when ready make the final disk using a -r disk and finalise it

the disk is the end product , and the authoring and editing and chaptering etc should be done on the internal hdd of the recorder , final assembly is the dvd disk

what you are trying to do should always involve using the hdd as the intermediary

video to dvd recorder hdd , edit etc and fastdub to -r disk and finalise , simple as that

getting bogged down and not achieving your goal is where you are currently at , so start again and follow the simple steps above , learning as you go

regards

OK I am sure Ramjet has given me good advice, so I will start again and hopefully do it the proper way and with some success next time.

I may be back...............

OK I am sure Ramjet has given me good advice, so I will start again and hopefully do it the proper way and with some success next time.

I may be back...............

no problem , and maybe keep that -rw disk to one side for later comparison and you may find out how to achieve
e what you wanted to do , if its possible that is

as I said , I use a pc to do all the work , including the naming and finalising of the final disk , which is why I have little experience of what you were trying to do there

but the basic procedures I outlined should get what you want done , and hopefully you will learn as you go , starting by using the correct methods given the abilities of what you have bought

had you recorded off an aerial , to the hdd , you would be facing the same tasks , so its as well to learn in this manner from the beginning

The fact is that the machine has obviously named the dvd, so why does it not appear on the title list?

You need to be aware that there are two separate naming issues here.

You have named the disc ... but not named the title.

Those are two separate operations and they can be the same or different.

For example- you could have a number of titles on a disc.
Each title would have it's own name.

Normally a disc title is just a number by default such as ' DVD No 1' ...which evidently is the name you have changed here.

thank you Gavtech, that really does help. But now the obvious question: Having named the disc - how do I enter a title?

I have received very good advice as shown here, but having got this far with this I may as well understand the remainder, although I wont be going down this road again and will follow what is I am sure the excellent advice I have received.

thank you Gavtech, that really does help. But now the obvious question: Having named the disc - how do I enter a title?

I can't be exact, but I would think the important part will be selecting the title first [... or in this case , the 'non-title' ] to make it the focus of your operation ... then going to the submenu ...and selecting 'Edit title'

Good luck.

each recording would have its own name , or better known as a title , like say wedding2009 or birthday2001 etc , and the edit button is used for this by highlighting the title and going to the right hand side menu where you have play , erase , edit , choose title name , delete whats there and add your new title and save it

this has nothing to do with the name or title of the actual disk

Slowly, but maybe surely, my grey matter is getting round this. It is now clear that I have affixed a "title" to the dvd. Thats fine.

But I am still unable to put in track titles (as I think they are called) because on the Title List all it says is "no title" and the only options to the right are Play, Erase, Edit, all three of which simply bring up a further box saying "No title". The other option mentioned on here by Ramjet "Choose Title Name" is not shown.

So sorry to be dragging this out, really. Is it perhaps that because I recorded straight on to the DVD from the VHS player that I have not created any tracks as such?

Last edited:
Slowly, but maybe surely, my grey matter is getting round this. It is now clear that I have affixed a "title" to the dvd. Thats fine.

But I am still unable to put in track titles (as I think they are called) because on the Title List all it says is "no title" and the only options to the right are Play, Erase, Edit, all three of which simply bring up a further box saying "No title". The other option mentioned on here by Ramjet "Choose Title Name" is not shown.

So sorry to be dragging this out, really. Is it perhaps that because I recorded straight on to the DVD from the VHS player that I have not created any tracks as such?

It should be in edit, but you are probably back on the DVD, and not on the HD.

You should be able to edit the title name whether it's on the DVD or the hard drive, I do it all the time.

If bringing up the title list of a DVD only shows "No Title" it looks like you may have put the disc into "Play List" mode. To get it back to "Original" mode, bring up the title list for the DVD, if it says "No Title" press the left arrow on the remote, scroll down to "Play List", press enter on the remote, highlight "Original" and press enter on the remote.

I don't have the same model Sony as you but having had a quick look at the manual on the website it looks pretty much the same.

Another thought, are you sure you didn't accidentally format rather than finalise the disc, (for rw discs only) which would wipe all the titles?
Also, as mentioned earlier, remember you can't edit a finalised disc.

Last edited:
Ok I am now feeling much better about all this, having made my first recording and dubbing to DVD. Thank you all very much for all your help, much, much better than the manual!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom