1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HXD710 v 910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Chris23, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The price difference between the 710 & 910 is over 50% of the price of the 710 yet to my untrained eye you seem to get very little for it. I strongly suspect the HDD in either is adequate for my needs so will someone please tell me why I might wish to consider paying for the 910? I suspect that I must be missing something!

2. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigger HD and HDMI output,I think thats all the difference is.

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That's it really. The HDMI does upscaling.

They even share the same manual.

4. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do you have a link to the manual mate?

Thanks
    J

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  6. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers. I've been there but there's more than one english version obviously for different market. None mentioned HDMI when I searched in adobe. Dont' suppose you know which english version is the UK one do you?

Sorry for the hassle!
    J

7. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It's the first english one on the list (2.18mb).

Takes a while to download but you can see that it applies to the 710/910 on the first page.

Chris

8. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Could somebody maybe explain the advantage of an HDMI output.
    Thanks

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    if you have a display with hdmi,the player will upscale to 720p or 1080i using the socket to give you a better picture.........but that depends on the player as some players will equally give good picture through component :thumbsup: hope that sort of explains it for you :rolleyes:

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It keeps the signal in the digital domain, thereby removing any digital to analogue conversion which can reduce picture quality. Hope this helps.

Steve

11. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks guys

12. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you for the replies to the original question & the further information which helps.

As my TV is not HD ready & DVD players are going to go blue ray or the Toshiba equivalent soon I am thinking the 710 looks much the better value for my money.

The only concern left is when I put the 710 into Kelkoo all the shops are £380-£400 except Pixmania who sell it for £317 delivered. Given this is a UK only model & therefore not a peculiar import I am wondering why & how they are so much cheaper than anyone else.

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/100304323/13565944.html

13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Why worry about it - that's the price they are selling them for, grab one while you can. I will be soon enough, after having bought my Canon IP4000 printer from them nigh on a year ago, with no hassles or problems, save for the power lead being 2-pin continental Europe type, but they included an adapter FOC.

14. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pixmania Machine is RDR-HX710 and the rest are RDR-HXD710 can you spot the difference?

The Pixmania machine does not have a Freeview tuner !!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

AB-P

15. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Just checked with Pricerunner again - HX710 shown by two other stores with direct links. The first correctly identifies it as HXD on their site, but the second doesn't, although it states it has Freeview.
    So, I guess the issue is only one of laziness, where the D part has been dropped.
    I was sort of concerned reading your reply, but then thought after looking at the pricerunner results, that Sony wouldn't make 2 separate 710 units. They'd probably make the Freeview-less one a 15 variant to distinguish them better.
    So, I've no qualms that although not specifically mentioned, that the Pixmania unit is equipped with Freeview, unless they can buy a quantity from Sony to their specs. Last time I checked, Sony don't do custom orders - it comes the way THEY decide, like it or lump it.

16. Jaffatubes

Jaffatubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The pixmania 710 and 910 are the european models and do not come with dvb (freeview) tuners. That is why they are cheaper. Sony does produce different versions for the european market as opposed to the UK market.

If you do a search on the internet and/or this forum, there are other posts from people who have bought these devices from pixmania and can confirm the fact.

A lot of Pixmanias stock is sourced from the euro zone and as such often arrives with euro mains leads and non english manuals.

If you are happy with these compromises then it is a great deal - just be aware of what you are buying.

17. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 710 was out long before the digital version and has been available on Pixmania for months!

I WOULD phone them and get them to confirm that if it does not have freeview you can return it FOC

My advice only

AB-P

18. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a Google Search on the RDRHX710 and see how many listings you get most if not all will be non British sites and will not list the digital tuner as being included.

As we know Sony fit only 1 tuner type in this machine so again the RDR-HXD710 is UK and the RDR-HX710 is for everywhere else!

Buy the Panasonic EH60 or the EH60D with DVB-T Tuner same thing diff Manufacture

Advantage if you buy the Panasonic EH60D ( UK Version) with the DVB-T Tuner it will still have the analogue tuner as well!! The European version just has the DVB-T Tuner removed ( This may even be just in the software)

AB-P

19. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But they do, they do! (make at least two versions with a 710 number, I mean). All the manufacturers have different tuner specs on a particular model according to the intended country of sale - Panasonic for example often specify this with a letter suffix or two which is often not mentioned on websites, whilst the Sony models have that D (or not) in the middle specifically to alert us to the fact that there is a model with ONLY a digital tuner and a model with ONLY an analogue one. Analogue ones are of course quite often satisfactory in the UK even if intended for Europe, but digital systems differ more and of course you can't get Freeview on an analogue-only tuner at all.

Since Pixmania is actually a French company, its first choice is to provide French-spec products and they do state that in the small print on their website.

20. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks guys/gals for confirming that. That's okay for me, seeing as I have NTL Digital, so the DVB-T would've been of little use anyway, unless I used an indoor aerial to let me view another digital channel whilst recording one.
    Given NTL's PVR is (supposedly) 4-5 months away, then I think I can wait until then to have twin digital tuners to do the above.
    If only the JVC had RGB in, I'd have been there in a flash - but alas, the Sony dot matrix display looks far nicer as well. And the fading menus sounds like it is novel.

21. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the clarification. Since the Freeview tuner is the whole point for mw it is very critical. Glad I asked.

The old saying of "If it appears to be too good to be true it probably is too good to be true" rules again.

I guess my complaint would be with Kelkoo who show it in a list with Digital equipped models and a spec that also includes it.

22. JerryU

JerryU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The giveaway on the Pixmania site is that if you run through the specs for the 710 and come to the heading 'Manual', it says 'French.'

23. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  24. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not Really, as the Freeview tuner is rubbish, and....

The new model RDR-HXD860 will be out in a weeks time and should be available for around £320 online. It has HDMI and DIVx.