SONY RDR-HXD710 - copy HDD for backup?

D

DIOGENES998

SONY RDR-HXD710 DVD Recorder will not read disks.
My next task is to copy the existing titles of 87 GB from the 160 GB HDD, before taking it in for repair.
I cannot find in the manual any info on how exactly to do this - I want to connect to a computer or to an external disk drive.
What output sockets and what leads would be suitable?
I have Apple iMac and iBook computers and one LaCie drive, all with Firewire and USB connections.
The SONY manual only seems to describe dubbing from HDD to a blank DVD and each DVD holds only 4.7 GB.
That means a lot of blank DVDs.
Any ideas on how to copy from HDD to an external drive?

ramjet

Banned
the only thing I can think of is to copy in real time by pressing play on this recorder and record on another one

D

DIOGENES998

The SONY RDR-HXD710 could not be repaired [no parts available] so was replaced with a new Panasonic. I still want to recover the 87 GB of recorded TV programmes from the salvaged SONY HDD. It has been installed in a holder / caddy but connecting it to a Windows PC or a Mac does not work - neither can recognise any files on the HDD.
Does anyone know what file format is used on the SONY 710 HDD?

razy60

DIOGENES998 wrote Does anyone know what file format is used on the SONY 710 HDD?

Not sure on the file format, but as a lot of these type of players use linux(Unix) based software. You could try using a linux live disc to see if that can read the drive. (or download a copy, try Pclinuxos works quite well and is very user friendly.).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom