• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Sony RDR HXD1095 - burning problem

mightyoakbob

Hi,

Just got a Sony HXD 1095 and I have some very starnge problems with burning -R DVDs. I can record a program to the hard disc and edit it just fine. I use -R discs with 'video' format and slow dub for smooth edits to the DVD. I then finalise the disc. The resulting disc will only play on the machine that made it. It will not play on the 4 or 5 DVD players that I've tried it with or a PC running MS media player.

I've also got a sony HXD910 from a couple of years ago, all the discs it prodices will play on anything - no problem. Even the 910 cannot read the discs produced by the 1095. I've just found that a mate a work has another 1095 and that *will* play my discs.

What is going on? Has a new standard been devised which dvd players cannot read?

Cheers,

Bob.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Are you sure that you are initialising the discs in Video format, not VR format? Everything you say suggests that the discs are in the non-standard VR format - or have not been finalized. Just noticed you said DVD-R discs, not DVD-RW discs, so I think they must be in Video mode. AFAIK, only rewritables can be burned in VR mode.

It's always possible that all your other DVD players refuse to recognise the type (DVD-R) or brand of disc - but this is unlikely. Most computer drives will recognise DVD-R discs, even if set-top DVD players don't.

mightyoakbob

Are you sure that you are initialising the discs in Video format, not VR format?

Yes, I absolutely certain. It is the format the machine does automatically when you put a disc in the drive.

Everything you say suggests that the discs are in the non-standard VR format - or have not been finalized.

Couldn't agree more, never the less, it is video format and its finalized.

Just noticed you said DVD-R discs, not DVD-RW discs, so I think they must be in Video mode. AFAIK, only rewritables can be burned in VR mode.

It's always possible that all your other DVD players refuse to recognise the type (DVD-R) or brand of disc - but this is unlikely. Most computer drives will recognise DVD-R discs, even if set-top DVD players don't.

I use the same discs in my 910 at home and the discs it produces work just about everwhere. I'm really baffled. I managed to burn one disc on the 1095 that seemed to play on other dvd players but only one. I've also had discs that play as 4:3 when the original on the hard disk is 16:9.

Seems to me, either there has been a stndards change or this player is faulty. As it seems a little inconsistent, I'll go for the faulty option I think.

Bob.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom