Sony RDR-HXD1070 tuner problem - interference?

BillTheButcher

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or in the Freeview section...

This is my setup:
Aerial cable into Sony RDR-HXD1070 HDD/DVD recorder.
HDMI and pass-through from RDR into Panasonic 46G10.

Until about a week ago this worked perfectly: very strong signal and excellent quality on all Freeview channels using either the recorder's or the TV's built-in tuners.

But now if the recorder is switched on I lose all Freeview channels except the BBC ones (strongest signal) on both units. :(

If I switch the recorder off then all channels are fine.

If I run the aerial cable directly to the TV's tuner then all channels are fine.

Playback from pre-existing recordings (via HDMI) is fine.

I've tried different cables to all sockets but no joy so I'm guessing the recorder is somehow interfering with the signal when it's powered on.

Any ideas before I take it to bits (and inevitably end up making it worse)?

TIA. :smashin:

I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or in the Freeview section...

This is my setup:
Aerial cable into Sony RDR-HXD1070 HDD/DVD recorder.
HDMI and pass-through from RDR into Panasonic 46G10.

Until about a week ago this worked perfectly: very strong signal and excellent quality on all Freeview channels using either the recorder's or the TV's built-in tuners.

But now if the recorder is switched on I lose all Freeview channels except the BBC ones (strongest signal) on both units. :(

If I switch the recorder off then all channels are fine.

If I run the aerial cable directly to the TV's tuner then all channels are fine.

Playback from pre-existing recordings (via HDMI) is fine.

I've tried different cables to all sockets but no joy so I'm guessing the recorder is somehow interfering with the signal when it's powered on.

Any ideas before I take it to bits (and inevitably end up making it worse)?

TIA. :smashin:

Disconnect the HDMI cable temporarily and try again via scart.

More than likely this will clear the problem and provide confirmation that the HDMI cable is interfering with the UHF reception which is a known problem.

You may get an improvement by physically routing the HDMI cable away from any UHF leads but the usual remedy is replacement of the HDMI lead... and experience shows that cheap leads have worked well.

You, sir, are a legend. :D

The one thing I hadn't even considered was a problem with the HDMI lead: it's remained plugged in the whole time while I've been faffing about with the other cables. As soon as I swapped it for SCART all the channels came back and are now rock solid.

Huge thanks mate; as I said above I was on the verge of taking the recorder to bits. :eek: Disaster narrowly averted. :cool:

its a common problem as gavtech said

I have found belkin hdmi cables to work fine

just change it for a different type until you find a suitable lead

Thanks ramjet. :)

I have 2 HDMI cables (same manufacturer; the other one goes to the PS3) and they both cause the same problem. It's weird that they've been fine for over a year and now they're causing this problem.

I have 2 HDMI cables (same manufacturer; the other one goes to the PS3) and they both cause the same problem. It's weird that they've been fine for over a year and now they're causing this problem.

In which case also check your RF leads and connections and routing, because they could have become more vulnerable to leaking radiation which was always present.

[ Note that different resolution settings also change the frequencies passing over the HDMI lead - so that can change the results you get. ]

Another possible explanation - The transmitted signal may be reduced in your area currently. This is happening a lot a various transmitters during the digital transition.
The signal may have been reducing in the past as a result of the HDMI leads, but staying above the reception threshold- if they were strong enough to start with.... and so remains unnoticed.

In a reduced signal situation, any reduction in signal level may take the level below the critical point.

interestingly we were all discussing this issue about a year ago - Sony were unhelpful at that time for my similar problem with the RDR HXD995. Consensus was HDMI interference which was not solved by better cables. My frustration at that point was why should HDMI cables be manufactured that can cause this interference. Now the switchovers are completing this problem is becoming more apparent with other members and still no solution. I notice Sony released an update for the 995 recently that mentions loss of channels - but it doesn't solve the problem.

Anyone know where this might end - a new unified HDMI standard is agreed but nothing about shielding ?

interestingly we were all discussing this issue about a year ago - Sony were unhelpful at that time for my similar problem with the RDR HXD995. Consensus was HDMI interference which was not solved by better cables. My frustration at that point was why should HDMI cables be manufactured that can cause this interference. Now the switchovers are completing this problem is becoming more apparent with other members and still no solution. I notice Sony released an update for the 995 recently that mentions loss of channels - but it doesn't solve the problem.

Anyone know where this might end - a new unified HDMI standard is agreed but nothing about shielding ?

RF behaves in very strange ways and can have some very odd dispersion characteristics which can make problems of this nature very difficult to pin down.

Replacement cables much more often than not have cured these problems in the past, but they don't cure all, so there may be equipment or circumstantial variables to account for these other occurrences.
Indeed some TV's themselves may be more 'leaky' at these frequencies.

I make comment about these problems elsewhere [ here ] ... that there has been no true investigation of this problem.

There is one obvious variability: The robustness of the incoming UHF signal.
It may be that many may suffer from this problem - without being aware of it. Their UHF signal strength being able to take any hit without showing any effects.
Perhaps those with more marginal reception may be more prone to the problem.

I prefer to avoid speculation as it has limited value.
It is better to go by what has been known to have definite cause and effect.
The possibility must also be considered that in seemingly intractable cases like your, you may have had the misfortune to try nothing but dicey cables.

...And what is it about these troublesome cables. Are they actually faulty? Not up to specification? ... or is the specification itself inadequate.

Perhaps we should start throwing this issue back harder at manufacturers... but the first hurdle to cross will be the inevitable - 'use the cable we recommend'

I think it may be time to start a dedicated thread about this issue to see just how deep it goes... and how many encounter this problem and find a solution, and how many do not.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom