Sony RDR-HX900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jack_bauer, Dec 6, 2004.

1. jack_bauer

jack_bauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm toying with the idea of getting this dvd recorder, now in its spec it says it has progressive scan, and i only have a old phillips 32" widescreen telly. (planning on upgrading next year) Does this mean that it wont give me a picture at all because progressive scan doesn't work on old tellys, or will it just give me a standard picture and not the improved progressive scan picture that i will get plugging it into a new LCD or Plasma.

Thanks for any info in advance

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You will get a picture OK. It's just that you won't be able to use progressive scan until you have a TV that supports it.

On the Sony, quite a lot of people here (including me) would avoid it because of its relatively poor editing facilities. Have you considered other makes?

3. jack_bauer

jack_bauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cool okay, thats what i'd hoped for that it would just give a standard picture until i get a better tv.

Yeah i'm open to suggestions on dvd recorders. I just want one with a good size hard drive, and good quality playback. Multi-Region wouldn't go amiss either..

What do you suggest?

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a Pioneer 420 and like these features:
    1. Scart passthrough in standby (and also while recording from internal analog tuner) so a complete RGB path from an external tuner to the 420 and the TV can be achieved and only use one TV (RGB) scart.
    2. Easy editing in the Copy List
    3. 32 recording modes so if you take the trouble you can select a mode for the HDD that will copy at high speed to DVD if you want to without resampling. The four standard modes are there - Fine, SP, LP, Extended.
    4. It displays JPEGs from CD-R and CD-RW

80GB seems ample for day to day use. I use LP all the time for time-shifting and it's way ahead of VHS, so IMHO the improvement of SP isn't worth bothering with in this case.

A lot of people like the Toshiba. I don't know how much of the above it does and what other things.

The Panasonic also gets good reviews but its RAM facility seems to be getting less desirable.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The machines to seriously consider are:
    - Toshiba RDXS32
    - Panasonic E85/E95
    - Pioneer 420/520/720

The Toshiba has by far the powerful of the machines listed with more features than the Panasonic and Pioneer's put together. The Panasonic has the best recording PQ and is the easiest to use. And the Pioneer is also a worth contender.

6. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If your not really worried about the editing features of the Sony - is it a good buy? £520 multiregion online

Got stung a couple of years ago buying philips 880 (don't laugh) when all my other kit is sony, now want to replace it because of the laser issue - no longer playing original dvd's and was looking at the hx900.

thanks Matt

7. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just been looking at the sony more closely and is it right that it doesn't have an RGB scart out? Surely for picture quality it should have in and out?

8. jack_bauer

jack_bauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  9. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks - sony site and one of the home cinema articles said rgb in but not out. Downloaded the manual and says rgb in and out - weird.

thanks for the link though - just need to decide in the next couple of days

cheers Matt

10. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    go for the Pioneer 720 if you can afford it. Excellent machine.
    Can save upto 34 hours on the highest picture quality setting on the hard drive. Or uto 204 hours on low setting.
    Editing is a breeze.