Sony RDR-HX900 Timer Recording problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by guarro, Feb 18, 2005.

1. guarro

guarro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I’ve just bought a Sony RDR-HX900 (to replace a Philips DVDR880 – don’t laugh!), and have experienced a problem with the timer recording function when attempting to record to the HDD.

The first couple of programmes for which I used the video+ timer to record (both BBC2) worked fine. The third was a channel 4 programme in the middle of the night (world cup skiing in the early hours of Thursday), which didn’t record at all. When I checked the ‘timer list’ on Thursday night, the entry was still there but with a grey dot next to the programme details. The user manual says that this grey dot “indicates that the setting cannot be recorded in the selected recording mode”, but unhelpfully does not give any examples of why this might be.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be anything to do with PDC (I keep getting an on-screen message when I turn the TV on telling me that PDC is searching and I need to turn it off if I want to watch the TV!).

Grateful for any advice or suggestions anyone can offer. Many thanks.

Dave

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    What recording mode are you using? Was there sufficient space left on the HDD?

3. guarro

guarro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HQ mode. Tons of space left on the HDD (I'd only recorded 2 half-hour programmes before the problem occurred, so there should be 20 hours of space left in HQ).

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Go to Tools menu when in Hard Disk Mode, scroll down to PDC/VPS. If it is set to OFF then highlight it & press ENTER, this will turn it on, then press the RETURN key to exit.

Additionally, always remember to press the SET key (just to the left of volume +/- on remote) immediately after inputing a Video+ number. After that
    hit OK etc.

Lastly, the PDC/VPS function does seem to turn itself off after the recording,
    so it's worth checking this before you enter any timer recordings.

Hope this works for you.

Tim. :)

5. guarro

guarro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Timbo, but I'm now even more convinced that the problem is because the PDC is already on.

If the PDC option is set to 'on' in the Timer Record function, and the programme is not a PDC programme, would that prevent the programme from recording (i.e. if the PDC is searching but can't find anything, it won't record)?

If so, does anyone know if a channel 4 programme broadcast at 2.00am would be a PDC programme? How can I know which programmes/channels are PDC and which are not?

I also can't watch the TV when the PDC option is set, as while it is searching (which seems to start hours before the programme is due) I get the message telling me to turn off the PDC if I want to watch TV (this appears on my Sky channel as well as my DVD channel).

I have never experienced this problem with previous PDC-equipped recording devices, whether DVDR or VCR, but its also the first time I've used a Sony so I'm probably just not yet used to its little idiosyncrasies. Any other ideas?

Cheers,
    Dave

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Ignore what the PDC/VPS function says when you are entering the timer
    details. It says it is ON even when it is switched off in the TOOLS menu.

If I switch the PDC/VPS function off in the TOOLS menu then I get the same
    problem if I enter a timer recording.

The important thing is to check in the TOOLS menu, scroll down and check to see if the PDC/VPS function is on or off, it should be ON. Then exit TOOLS
    & enter your timer settings.

REMEMBER don't go by what it says about PDC/VPS when entering the timer details. Look in the TOOLS menu.

Regards,

Tim.

I feel very certain this is your problem.

7. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with mine. The PDC/VPS function over-rides the other forms of recording. This sometimes includes the record button on the remote control. The standard timer will not function if there is a search going on. If you turn the scan off, you will be able to set TV channels on the recorder and see them on screen when the TV is set to "AV."

The white disc with the grey dot in the middle tells you the timing event hasn't happened. Strangely enough, no error message flashes up on the recorder nor on the on-screen display. What you should see is a green dot to show the timer entry has been set up. When it hits record mode, it changes to a red dot. At the end of programme, the whole timer entry disappears. It would appear that all of our UK TV channels have PDC to be picked up by the scanner. What happens in other countries where some TV channels have it and some don't?

Finally, the standard timer works perfectly when the aerial cable is disconnected!

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    After setting the timer, inc. the settings previously mentioned, it is better
    to switch the HX900 into standby....

If you don't then you will get a prompt just before the recording begins to turn PDC/VPS to ON or CLOSE (this will happen irrespective of you turning it to ON in the TOOLS menu). If you select ON then it will start searching. You can then just press the TV/DVD button (directly below the volume +/- on remote) to view a straight signal from your L3 scart input, or you can view normal terrestrial TV from your TV remote via RF.

If you select CLOSE when the PDC/VPS prompt comes up then THE RECORDING WON'T HAPPEN. ADDITIONALLY, IF YOU DO NOTHING & DON'T RESPOND then again the recording won't work. This is why it is probably best to put your HX900 into standby, since you won't have to touch a thing and you can watch your TV without any annoying searching banners coming up on the screen.

Hope this helps, & is clear (probably as mud),

9. guarro

guarro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Timbo & Chris,

That's quite a lot for a simple-minded soul like me to take in, but I'll try to work through it and see what happens.

Well, what happened yesterday was that the timer was set to record a programme from 10.00am until 11.30, with PDC on. The machine was in standby. I got up at 10.30am and noticed that the machine was still in standby (and therefore not recording). I turned on the TV and the DVD, to be presented with the PDC search banner. I selected 'on' at the banner prompt, and the programme immediately began recording. But I'd missed the first half an hour ...

But when I turn it on in order to watch something recorded last night, the PDC search banner comes on because it is starting to search for the programme it is set to record later tonight. The only way I can watch what I recorded last night is to select 'off', which means that the programme I wanted to record later tonight won't record!?

I think I'm making a meal of this - I'm sure it can't be as complicated as I'm finding it. For the time being, when programming the timer I am setting all PDC modes to 'off', which seems to have sorted that problem, but of course I'm not getting the benefits of PDC, so today I missed the last few minutes of what I had recorded!

10. guarro

guarro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean that if it cannot find a PDC signal it will not record anything? That seems crazy - surely, if it can't find the PDC it should just start recording at the programmed start time.

Yes, but according to Timbo once you have turned the scan off it will no longer record what the timer has been programmed to record. Or have I misunderstood that?

I've since found out that only BBC1, BBC2, C4 and C5 broadcast PDC. ITV1 does not in most of its regions (including mine - London/Carlton). Nor does Sky digital.

Does this mean that any timer programmes for ITV1 or Sky (Line 3) must have PDC off?

This still wouldn't explain my C4 problems while machine in Standby!

Clarification for a stupid person would be appreciated.

Dave

11. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Try this web address:

http://625.uk.com/pdc

Title is "PDC (Programme Delivery Control) Explained"

All the fun of PDC and its predecessor, VPS to be found in there. I spent nearly an hour last night browsing over and over again. Quite a bit of info to digest. Some strange goings on are explained. I am only beginning to learn all the quirks. Good luck.

Also try Gemstar's web site re how to use the VideoPlus+ and other programming guides.

www.gemstar.co.uk

12. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    1. If you've setup the TOOLS menu as I mentioned then I'm stumped!

2. Once you've entered the video+ numbers you can manually extend the recording times. This obviously won't help if your programme is aired half an hour
    late, but will stop you missing the last couple of minutes (depending on how much
    you extend the settings).

It might be worth going back over the posts & the manual. It's often easy to miss
    something.

Alternatively, ring Sony :(

13. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something which I remarked about on another post regarding the "manual" option on the timer... if you set it when PDC signals are being scanned, it won't work. Now the astonishing cure! If you DISCONNECT THE AERIAL CABLE, the manual timer works perfectly!

Strange choice. You can't manually record a programme that is there, or you can manually record a programme that isn't there! :thumbsdow

Luckily, all my programmes set by VideoPlus have recorded, but some of them have had the wrong titles automatically applied to the title list. Sometimes the titles have appeared from other TV channels! Anybody out there who can explain that one? :confused:

14. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I may just add a small supplementary to the timer fun... when I set some times for the following day, the time was close on 23:59 Thursday. As soon as the clock hit midnight, the message "Select PDC/VPS scan off to watch a programme" appeared. In this case the TV was set to "AV" but all you need to do is set the TV to receive directly which bypasses the DVD recorder.

15. thames

thames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this thread with a search after my timer recording failed.

It seems that if you set a timer event and switch PDC off then put the recorder into standby, PDC automatically turns itself back on thus ensuring nothing will record!

Solution seems to be don't go into stanby, leave PDC off and allow extra time at beginning and end of timer settings.

Have any of you had problems with the recorders tuner? I posted previously about some contrast correction that seems to go on when titles and captions come on screen.