1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX900 Teletext & Title lists

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TingedAce, Jan 13, 2005.

1. TingedAce

TingedAce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just recently bought the multi-region version of the Sony HX900 for a very reasonable £469 incl. delivery. In general, I'm very happy despite some of the criticism about the editing features (i.e. not being able to split a title on the HDD). I don't intend doing too much archiving to DVD, and even if I do most if it will probably be 2 hours or less and therefore very acceptable quality at SP recording mode.

TELETEXT FEATURE
    Has anyone worked out the program name extraction feature from teletext yet? I'm in Edinburgh and have Telewest Digital, but also have an external ariel connected to RF in. I just set the HX900 TV guide options to use page 606 for all days of the week on Channel 1 (i.e. BBC1 RF input) - I didn't alter any other channels from the 000 default. Strangely, with these settings the recorder can pick up the correct program names for TELEWEST channels 101, 102, 103, 104 (Line 3 IN) when I recorded small segments on those channels. (Note it takes about 4 or 5 mins into the recording before it gets it) But it couldn't for some reason extract info for those channels when recording direct from the BBC1 RF input i.e. its own tuner!!?? It also didn't manage to extract from either Sky One (120) or Sky Sports 1 (511). No surprise there though I suppose.

Is this expected behaviour? Anyone worked out the best setup config?

TITLE LISTS
    I don't think there is any way to directly copy video files from your PC to the HX900 HDD. You can do it the other way round by dubbing to DVD (video mode) which just burns a standard DVD, and can be read by your PC.

In order to dub anything, you need to first display a title list of where you're dubbing FROM. This works fine on the HDD if you press the "Title List" button. You can then select the title you want to copy (dub) to DVD. But insert any DVD that is not copyrighted e.g. you're wedding DVD or something you've authored on your PC and it simply displays "Cannot display title list for this disc" so therefore you can't select a title to dub to HDD.

Now, if you make a DVD (video mode) on the HX900, as I said it is readable by your PC. It's just standard DVD format with .VOB and .ISO files. Play this on the HX900 and it lets you view the title list no problem. Now copy this DVD to a folder on your PC, and burn it back onto another DVD with Nero and guess what..."Cannot display title list for this disc". Must be something that Nero is doing. Checking the user manual it say something along the lines of "The title list may not work on DVDs recorded on other equipment.". Notice the "may not" bit implying there must be a way to do it, but what are the magic settings?

FINALLY
    Another few things I noticed...
    1) You cannot play back a NTSC DVD while recording! Although you can play back PAL ones while recording. (How stunned was I?). So I really need to keep my DVD Player as well as my recorder.
    2) You can't seem to delete titles from HDD while recording.
    3) You can't input NTSC via Line 4 input (just get grey screen), only PAL.

2. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TingedAce,

I have a Sony GX7 DVD recorder and this has the same feature as the newer Sony recorders. I am currently in Los Angeles and therefore can not confirm this for sure but I think that you need to change your page number. For BBC1 I seem to recall the setting as 601 (Teletext page for BBC1), BBC2 should be set to 602, ITV set to 603, Channel 4 set to 604 and finally 605 for Channel5.

Give this a go and see if this helps. This certainly works on the GX7.

3. TingedAce

TingedAce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Quinny

That seemed to do the trick - thanks for the tip. :smashin: