Sony RDR-HX900 HDD.Did Sony make a stupid mistake ?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ernet, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    First of all I'm sorry for my english. I've read somewhere that the new Sony RDR-HX900 HDD you can NOT create a play list on the hard drive for dubbing an edited version of a project onto a DVD. I just can't imagine how they left out this important feature. It appears you can only create a play list on a DVD-RW in VR mode, then I guess you would dub that back to the HDD, and then dub back to a DVD-R. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong ( I hope I am ).
    If it is the way they did I cann't find the worlds to comment how Sony could make so big stupid mistake !

My english is very poor so if you can explore those problems again and ask sb. at the shop or make a phone call to Sony rep. I would be very gratefull to hear what is the true.

I have been usung Pio 5100 and I'm very satisfi wit it. I was going to buy Sony because of QS line equipment I have & for RGB IN which Pio doesn't have.

Ernet

BTW;I've read Sony RDR-HX900 User Manual ( on line ) and I understood it in this way.

2. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony is not alone. LG4820 is the same in that department and I am sure many other HD recorders have limtations of some sort.
    But may be there is a way to get round it. Every machine does it differently.

Dubbing/editing features vary from make to make. Not all machines can do all things and most can do only a little portion of what you and I would like.

I had to return one machine after just one day because I found out, after I bought it, that it could not do what I wanted to do. I took it for granted that it would do what I EXPECTED.

I started off with a DVD+ Rogers810 and had been very happy with it. It was a different story once I started "upgrading" to a HD recorder.

I would advise prospective buyers to download the user manual, many of them are available, to study paricularyly the dubbing/editing procedures/capabilites before making the purchase.

3. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That I was asking for 'cause of my poor english. I read the manual but I don't know if I understood correctly that editing on Sonys HD is NOT possible.
    ( Oposite to eg. Pio 5100/5200 and so on ).

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The Sony HX900 and Sony HX1000 both allow editting on the HDD. Refer to the A-B edit information on Page 65 of the manual. You can do this editting on the HDD, DVD-RW 'VR mode' or DVD+RW (although edits on this format won't be accurate).

Playlists cannot be compiled on the HDD as dubbing from the internal disk to DVD uses a 2pass re-encode which works along the MPEG2 stream and would ignore any markers.

5. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply. That is what I was afraid of. How can Sony ignore so important thing in its LATEST DVD/HD recorders ? Now I know that this model is absolute useless for me. I record from my DV comcorder/ Cable ( e.g. music clips ) a lot, than I use to edit ( erase, devide, move ) it in built-in HD, make copylist as I'd like to watch it and than copy HD to DVD.
    I thing most of DVD/HD's users do the same.
    Now it's time to skip to Pio 520 then.