Sony RDR HX900 - can't get Freeview channels loaded from my digital tuner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by talacrush, Dec 27, 2004.

1. talacrush

talacrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Santa brought us a very nice new Sony RDR-HX900 dvd recorder for Christmas. Hooray! Then it all turned sour because no matter what cable configuration I use (following both the instructions and anything else I can think of) all it will do is set up the four terrestrial channels. Clearly I'm doing something wrong or not understanding something, but I haven't a clue what! Worse still I'm in grave danger of loosing my 'dad knows how to fix everything' credentials with my kids !!

Here's what I've got:

Sony RDR-HX900 - DVD Recorder
    Aerial in/out
    Scart - Line 1 TV
    Audio/Video jacks out - Line 2
    Scart decoder - Line 3
    Audio/Video jacks in - Line 4
    Component Video jacks out

Panasonic TU-CT20 - Digital Tuner (Freeview)
    Aerial in/out
    Audio jacks out
    Scart socket

Panasonic TV TX-32PF10
    Aerial in
    Audio jack
    RGB/VCR - Scart AV1
    VCR/S-VHS VCR - Scart AV2
    VCR/S-VHS VCR - Scart AV4
    Video/Audio jacks in - AV3

In short, I'm at my wits end . I'm sure I must be able to download the freeview channels for recording. I'm told I've got SMARTLINK too but that I can't use that if I connect devices to the recorder via the Line 3/Decoder jack.

Can anyone tell me which bits I should be joining up with what cable? Is the problem with my Freeview box maybe?

Any help would be appreciated .. so much for Sony's EasySetup facility!!!

One other thing while I'm at it .. sometimes the digital signal in our area is flakey (eg voices lose sync with lip movements) and we prefer to record from the terrestrial channels ... Is it possible to have the DVD recorder set up so we can easily switch to recording from our terrestrial channels instead of from our digital channels (assuming we ever manage to get that part of it set up) ??

Sorry for the long post .. just wanted to make sure I give sufficient info

tia.

2. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It is not possible to set up the recorder with the freeview channels as it only has an analogue tuner. There are 2 ways of recording freeview:
    1. If you select input AV1 on the recorder it will record anything that is currently on your screen. My Sony plasma will do this even when in standby so you don't have to watch it at the same time.
    2. If the freeview tuner is connected to scart input AV3 on the recorder you can use this to record the currently selected freeview channel (and watch terrestrial tv or DVD at the same time).
    I hope this clears things up a bit. Phil

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain the HX900 doesn't have a built-in Freeview tuner so the only channels it will find on searching are the ones you already have.

You should connect the Freeview box scart to the HX900 AV3 scart.

Connect the HX900 AV1 scart to the television AV1.

Then to record from freeview, select AV3 as the input on the HX900 and you should then see whatever channel the Freeview box is set to.

When you are more confident with the menus on both units it will be worth changing a few things for best picture quality. The Freeview box should be set to RGB output, the HX900 AV3 should be set to RGB input and the HX900 AV1 should be set for RGB output.

4. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have the HX1000 and the second scart (for the freeview box) is confusingly labelled AV3.

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Thanks Phil I've changed those references to AV3.
    This is a minefield. :)

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is why I got the Sony GXD500 model with freeview tuner built in!