Sony RDR HX750 DVD/HDD recorder

C

craigt42

I have found a quite a few articles on upgrading harddrives on other units but have seen nothing for this unit. Is there any way of replacing the 160gb drive with anything larger? Any information is appreciated,

sila1999

Novice Member
I beleive that the same should apply to this model and the new to be released models. However i dont have this model to play with just the service manauls.
Give it a try and let us all know as the service manual indicates that its a Sony/ Pioneer chassis.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Craigt42. Welcome to the forum.

I presume this must be a specific Canadian model because AFAIK this model was never released here, forum experience of it is likely to be limited.

However, it will probably be from the same model family as we have here, only varying in line voltage / line system / tuner systems etc, so the principle system should be the same and I would expect the results to be identical.
So any articles you have found should apply.

[ Just a small note regarding your thread title - We try to encourage the use of 'HDD' to refer to hard disc drives to avoid confusion with High Definition ]

sila1999

Novice Member
I know this model is being sold in Aus/NZ however the service manual quotes the following
AUS/NZ RDR-GX350/HX750/HX950
Argentina RDR-GX350
Brazilian RDR-GX350
Canadian RDR-GX350/HX750
E Model RDR-GX350/HX750
Singapore RDR-GX350/HX750/HX950
Taiwan RDR-HX750

If you would like to have a copy of the service manual i can upload it somewhere. I may get around to modifying my original document on how to do it and encompass this model

C

craigt42

Thank you for all of the quick responses.

sila1999 - I already have the service manual as I had found it elsewhere on the net but thank you for the offer. I also found a cheap place to get the service remote but may go the "Palm Pilot" route as they are cheap on e-bay and it could be used for many projects. My biggest concern is getting a hold of what the service manual calls "Version Upgrade CD Disc" which I assume is the ID disk to initialize any new hard drive I should choose to add. Any idea where I can get a hold of one of these disks?

Gavtech - Yes, it is the Canadian model and seems very similar to the models sold over there. Sorry about the acronym messup between HD and HDD....I fully understand how it can confuse and mislead as I am a member at several satellite forums and have seen many posts that are corrected to teach the proper etiquette of acronyms.

sila1999

Novice Member
I wouldnt worry to much about the "Version Upgrade CD Disc" as with the x70 series the manual stated that as well, howevr i never needed it nor other members here.
Will have a look around to see if i can find any details on it.
Cheers
Guy

C

craigt42

I was looking at the x70 series and it looks as if the required information, for installing a hard drive, is hard encoded on a Rom chip inside the units eliminating the need for the Version Upgrade CD. The model I have did not incorporate this feature and therefor needs the disk to initialize any new HDD install.....that is according to the extensive reading I have been doing all over the net. That is my sticking point, for the moment, as I don't even want to attempt this without the disk to make sure it all goes smoothly. I hope you can dig something up regarding the disk as I can't seem to find it anywhere, although I haven't tried Sony yet....;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom