Sony RDR-HX725 video CODEC

feltroncq

Novice Member
Reaction score
This is a very old machine I know. It's about to go in the bin, but before it does, there are five or six videos that I would like to retrieve from it. Precious family movies that were dubbed from an even older camcorder!
I've managed to copy the video files off the hard disk, but I find that they are encrypted somehow. They appear to play on a PC video player like VLC, but there is nothing to see or hear.
I got in touch with Sony to ask if they might be able to help, as this is a very old machine, but they apparently do not have any advice to give.
I've tried all the video tools I can think of, things like G-Spot etc., but to no avail.
I was just wondering if anyone here might have been through a similar exercise and have some advice to offer?
I can of course do a video capture, but I would lose some quality that way, so I would really prefer to work with the source files if possible.
Thanks for reading

As far as I know the file system used on these older machines is a unique non standard propriety one. So unfortunately its a no-can-do as far as getting the files to play on anything else or being able to convert them to another format.

I've managed to copy the video files off the hard disk, but I find that they are encrypted somehow. They appear to play on a PC video player like VLC, but there is nothing to see or hear.
How have you copied them and what have you copied them to? If you burn them to a DVD-R (and then finalise it), then it should be playable in any DVD player?

I've got an old RDR-HXD860 (boxed up now) and that's how that used to work.

How have you copied them and what have you copied them to? If you burn them to a DVD-R (and then finalise it), then it should be playable in any DVD player?

I've got an old RDR-HXD860 (boxed up now) and that's how that used to work.
Yes, I think that’s the conclusion I’ve come to as well. I actually copied the .mpg files straight off the hard disk, expecting them to play normally. I will burn them to DVD using the machine itself, and then hopefully extract them from the DVD to play on my Plex server.

There are old threads on HX780 extracting video from it here and here.

This site (use auto translate web browser) mentions the HX725 process for extracting videos, it may be however you got the video off the system has corrupted some of the data so VLC cannot play it.

MakeMKV will extract the video from DVD with no conversion so at least you dont have to go through another conversion. I'd do this first before messing around with the internal drive of the recorder.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom