1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR HX510 vs Tosh RDXS34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lfgj, Jun 16, 2005.

1. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to prattle on, but I need to know which is the best, if anyone can help?

I know the Tosh has all the connections I need (Component & digital coaxial outs, DV in) but the fan noise issue concerns me slightly & I cannot find anywhere local to have a demo!

I think the Sony has most of the aforementioned connections? - I also read somewhere that some Sonys may have a noise issue as well - is that true?

Other 'requirements' are best picture quality as possible (both recorded & as a standalone DVD player) and reliability.

Is the Tosh's main benefit the larger HD?

I have a Toshiba 36ZP48 tv - are there any significant benefits in matching a Tosh player with it?

I also require multi region - and I believe the Toshibas can have RCE issues - does this affect Sony at all? (is there an aftermarket mod available for the Sony out there? - I've emailed DVD Chips in the meantime to see if they do it...).

Cheers!
    Disco Dave

2. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    I've just bought the Toshiba and must say I slightly annoyed by the fan. It sounds just like my laptop computer when it gets hot and the fans kick in. Having said that, my room is quite echoey and the machine is only about 5 feet away. If it is furtehr away, or you have it in a cabinet I doubt it'll be so annoying. Still, it is not noticeable with the tv volume on.

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    The Tosh 34 and Sony 510 are both reviewed in Home Cinema Choice (Sony given a best buy but I don't think that the 34 did) and What Video?? (I think both received best buys) this month.

The Sony is supposed to have the best playback of any DVD recorder. It has a 12 bit D/A converter as opposed to the Tosh's 10 bit. (New Panny range also have 12 bit.)
    The Sony has the following advantages:
    HQ+ Mode - records with a higher bit rate than pre-recorded DVDs. This mode is only available when recording to HDD not DVD. (You would only have been able to fit about 1/2 hr on a standard DVD.)
    Best playback PQ
    Not noisy (I have played with one and don't remember hearing the fan at all - but I wasn't looking out for fan noise and it was in a shop not a quiet living room.)
    Can record on dual layer DVD+R. However, there appears to be an issue regarding widescreen switching when using DL DVD+R (according to What Video it plays back in letter box even on a widescreen TV) and DL DVD+R is much more expensive than single layer.

Advantages of the Tosh:
    DVin - very useful if you have a camcorder
    Twice the HDD - but ask yourself how much you need - if you are mainly going to archive to DVD
    Best editing facilities of any DVD recorder.
    It is cheaper (about £270 on pricerunner) and you can get it Multi Region. Some people have reported that it is not possible to make the Sony multi region - I have not seen anywhere offering MR Sony 510s.

You may also want to consider the Panny EH50. It is roughly the same price as the Sony and has better recording quality when recording more than 2 hours to a DVD. You can definitely get MR versions of the Panny.

4. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    There are definately places out there offering the Sony multiregion capable, cheapest i've seen is £315 at www.cheapelectricals.co.uk

The Panasonic doesn't record the widescreen flag at all (so you will have to switch to 16:9 mode on your TV manually), but does record in 16:9 if it is fed a 16:9 image.

Can anyone confirm if the Toshiba & Panasonic record 16:9 in sub SP modes?

5. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    A few more things about the Toshiba that I considered before buying mine:-

It can burn all its formats at high speed. I believe the Pana can only do DVD-RAM. Not sure about the Sony.

The Toshiba has Picture in Picture. Meaning you can watch a DVD/HDD recording and have a smaller picture in one of the corners for tv/video/another source.

6. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some things I never considered before: -

I would prefer PAL & NTSC progressive (I have quite a few American/Canadian R1 discs) - it looks like the Sony has this, but the Tosh only PAL - is that correct?

Also do these give 5.1 sound output on pre-recorded DVDs at all?

7. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually the Pana can also burn all its formats at high speed, in identical fashion to the Toshiba. Just they describe it differently in the brochures. (But on all machines, high speed only works if the HDD recording is in "video" mode to begin with, otherwise it has to be played back in real time and gets re-encoded. Toshiba and Panny both leave the factory in non-high-speed mode.)

8. lfgj

lfgj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about NTSC Prog Scan - does that mean I'll have to live with R1's through RGB? - Is it really that great a loss??

9. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XS34 like the XS32 does prog scan on both PAL and NTSC. I recall seeing somehting somewhere in the manual, also see para 3 of http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12637
    Don't all DVD players and recorders offer 5.1 sound output on pre-recorded DVDs? The tosh certainly outputs 5.1 digital audio.