1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR HX510 v Pioneer DVR-433H-S - any advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by trlee2011, Aug 16, 2005.

1. trlee2011

trlee2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I have just discovered this superb site, and am very impressed with all the advice given! I was hoping someone slightly more knowledgable than myself might be able to offer some advice re: the two machines in the title (Sony & the Pioneer). I have done a bit of research on both and from what I can tell from various magazine and web reviews, both seem pretty good. I am however, leaning towards the Sony and given that I have found it to be within my budget at approx £290 will probably go for this one. Just hoping for any opinions from those who may have road-tested, or who own either of these machines.

Main uses for the machine would be to use HDD to record series of tv shows, then edit out advert breaks (for example) and record to dvd, and to burn dvd's. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Have a look at this thread - I appreciate it doesn't mention the 433 directly but given it's more or less the same as the 530 (but with a smaller HDD, no set-top box control, naff remote and no EPG) you will get an idea for how they compare.

Most of the major HDD/DVDR combi will do what you want: Pioneer, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony.

3. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I have the sony and it's a belter.

Really easy to use, intuitive menus, solid build, great remote, and also capable of dual layer (not tried that yet tho).

Personal view - you can't go wrong with a sony

4. trlee2011

trlee2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the quick respones, much appreciated and very helpful!

5. AthensDion

AthensDion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please let me know if the Sony 510 or 710 can record a NTSC source. I'm in the market for a recorder that can record both in PAL and NTSC format. The only ones that I have confirmed that can do this is the Pioneer 533H and 433H.
    Does anyone know for sure?
    Thanks