Sony RDR-HX510 Progressive Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Johnmel, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Johnmel

Johnmel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just received my new Sony HX510, and in most respects I am very pleased with it. The recording quality is excellent and I like the look and feel of it.

I had my previous DVD player connected to my TV (Tosh 32ZD26P) via component and the pic quality was excellent.

However, when I try to connect the HX510 via component I get a blank screen, I think this is due to the player being Pal progressive and the TV being NTSC progressive. In the Sony manual it states that it cannot record NTSC signals, it does not say anything about playback. It also says you can connect via component if your TV accepts 525p/625p format signals and as the TV does accept 525p signals I am wondering if there is something I have not set correctly on the player.

I have to say that the playback pic via scart on the HX510 is nowhere near as good as I had with my last player using component and I am a little disappointed in that. However this is undoubtedly my fault for not checking this out before buying the Sony, which, as I said, is otherwise excellent.

Would appreciate any help or advice from anyone.

Cheers

2. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this helps - On the Sony HX910, there is a setting in Setup for "Progressive Mode" - This needs to be set to AUTO, not VIDEO.

3. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Do you mean on pre recorded DVD? I''m looking at this machine but if the playback quality is poor i'll look elsewhere. I'd be connecting it by component as well.

Also, did you buy it locally or from the internet?

4. Johnmel

Johnmel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sheepking,

The point I was trying to make re the playback picture quality was that it is not as good using scart as my previous player was via component out.

Obviously I am not able to comment on the pic quality via component because of the problem I highlighted on my original post. Perhaps somebody else who has this model and is using the component out can give us their verdict on this.

5. Johnmel

Johnmel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I bought it online from Edgware Hi-Fi and paid £303.90 inc carriage for the multiregion version. I was quite impressed with the quality of service from them by the way.