Sony RDR-HX510 or LG RH7500?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Danrv, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Danrv

Danrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I'm new to DVD recorders and am considering the Sony RDR-HX510 having
    read excellent reviews.I've also seen the LG RH7500 for around £250 (a little cheaper) with pretty much the same spec inc. reading double layer discs.
    Also I've read of some owners installing a 250gb HDD with no problems.
    Is the LG worth considering?
    I'd like a recorder with a HDD,good playback/recording,multi-region (though not essential). Not worried about Freeview tuner as a set-top box can be added.
    One thing though,I don't think the LG records RGB input.Would this be a problem when recording for instance VHS to DVD?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks Dan

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not if your VHS player has RGB out.
    Personally I'd spend the extra on the Sony - HQ+ recording level for better than DVD quality, although it'll eat into the HDD space like no-one's business.
    Sony have raised their game this year round, and it's a tough call between them and Panasonic, although JVC could be a bit of a spoiler when the MH300 comes next month. Think HXD910 minus the Freeview tuner - just analog instead. £369 from ASKDigital - over £100 cheaper than Sony's offering. Otherwise the same, save the HQ+ mode.

3. Danrv

Danrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have 2 VCR's (Akai VS-A650 & Toshiba V852UK) both have Scart sockets.I'm not sure if they have RGB out.
    I had my sights on The 510 until you mentioned the new JVC.Is this multi format (-Rw & +RW + DL ability) as I thought JVC models were DVD Ram.
    Also how could you record Mini-DV camcorder footage onto the Sony as there's no DV in on this model.Could you use S-video or the Scart connection?
    Thanks

4. Danrv

Danrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have bought the Sony RDR-HX510 and am very pleased with it,particularly with the on-screen navigation (looks like Windows XP) and ease of use.
    My decision was made mainly after reading the excellent reviews in 'Home Cinema Choice' July 05 and 'What Hi-Fi' August 05.
    I haven't done much dubbing to blank media as I record everthing to the 80 Gig HDD
    which is plenty of storage for moderate off-air recording.
    A DVD recorder with a hard drive is a 'must have'.The recorder will just put your recording after the last one on the HDD.No more rushing around looking for space
    on a cassette.
    Using the SP recording mode (3rd from best) I can't tell the recording from the original.
    I don't miss the Dv-in as I have no camcorder yet but there are other ways of recording from a Camcorder plus there's always the PC for that.
    Top quality from Sony.