1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX510 - Aspect Ration question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kwebbotaurus, Jun 16, 2005.

1. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Am I right in thinking that the widescreen flag is recorded on DVD-R, DVD-RWs, but not for DVD+R & DVD+RW? Does this include DVD+RW Dual Layer?

In the manual it states "DVD Rec. Picture Size works when recording mode is set to HQ, HSP, or SP. For all other recording modes, the screen is fixed at 4:3", does this mean it doesn't record in 16:9 in LSP?

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes - it will not record anamorphically in this mode, but will letterbox a 16:9 source which means zooming for playback.

3. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Is this usual for DVD Recorders as I thought they all recorded Anamorphic broadcasts, but not necessarily the widescreen flag?

This renders any recordings over 2hours utterly useless, ridiculous!!

4. murrayp

murrayp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based on my experience with other machines and software, I'd say that:

- Longer recording times are usually acheived by recording a squashed half-width picture that is then un-squashed on playback. For anamorphic pictures that would mean double squashing and un-squashing, which isn't good for quality.

- The official DVD specification only allows full-width pictures to be flagged as anamorphic, so to put this flag on a half-width recording would make it a non-standard DVD

- By letterboxing the picture you avoid double-squashing and avoid making a non-standard DVD

5. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The Sony RDR-HX510 only drops to half resolution after the LSP (2hrs 30mins) mode (in other words at LP mode it's half res), so why on earth can't you get an anamorphic recording in LSP?

6. murrayp

murrayp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might just be an error in the manual. The PDF manual says in one place that it works at LSP, SP, HSP or HQ but it says in another place that it works with HQ, HSP or SP.

I'm sorry but I haven't done much experimenting with mine yet and probably won't have time before the weekend, but when I've had a chance to check I'll let you know.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I read a review of this yesterday that said it will not record anamorphically in the dual layer mode only (on +R and +RW if I recall), but is OK on other modes.

8. murrayp

murrayp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure that it will record anamorphically in every mode, it's just a question of which flags it will set and that depends on the disc type and the picture size/resolution used.

If you want to properly control the flags on your recordings then you should probably think about using RW discs, ripping the recordings to your computer and re-authoring the discs. Or you could just press the "picture size" button on your TV remote and choose widescreen - problem solved.

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Welll the review was pretty emphatic that it would not record anamorphically in the dual layer mode. Emphatic enough to stop me buying th machine later that day.

The manual even states this according to the original post on the thread.

10. murrayp

murrayp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kwebbotaurus misunderstood because the wording in the manual is misleading. It has a table with a column labeled "Record 16:9 sizes" and it says yes or no for different disc types. kwebbotaurus though this meant "Record anamorphic picture", but it doesn't, it means "Record 16:9 flag".

If you record an anamorphic picture then you will get an anamorphic disc, you just don't always get an anamorphic flag. All the flag does is make your TV automatically switch to widescreen, so if there's no flag you'll have to push the "widescreen" or "picture size" button on your TV remote - big deal.

11. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I was reading from the manual, it's quite misleading as it says the screen size will be set to 4:3!

As for the magazine, they say when referring to the manual they were shocked to discover it doesn't record anamorphically in lower res modes/+R/+RW/+RW DL. They hadn't actually tested it out which is pretty damn appalling for a review of a DVD Recorder.

As murray p has the Sony I will trust him on this one, as he says in the table it says you can record 16:9 inLSP in the tables, but omits it later on page 47, probably a misprint!

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I'm totally baffled. :confused:

The review said that it would record in 16:9 in the dual layer mode, but letterboxed widescreen as opposed to anamorphic wide screen. So are you guys saying this will deffo record anamorphic in Dual Layer mode then?

Has anyone acually done it yet to see?

Would like to know as I was / am considering buying this machine.

Thanks

13. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    an anamorphic recording IS a 4:3 recording! no matter what you record it is 4:3. the question is whether or not it has a flag on the disc to tell your tv to stretch it or not.

all tv today is 4:3. anamorphic just means it is squashed sideways and needs to be stretched out by our wonderful display devices.

i don't see any reason why any resolution of recording would make any difference to this. i have made long-play recordings on video tape from sky which were anamorphic. they looked terrible but they were widescreen!!

14. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well it sounds like a sloppy review and a lot has been lost in the manual translation. The confusion arises over what the machine can record and what it can play back. It has nothing to do with the type of disc, and anamorphic recordings can be made on DL just as well as SL discs.

What people are saying is that the Sony will correctly record anamorphic transmissions, which are capable of being transplated for viewing either in 16:9 format on a widescreen display letterboxed on a 4:3 display. However, whether the same Sony machine is capable of playing back its own recordings with automatic translation of aspect ratio and autoswitching is another matter.

The ability to do this is contained in the IFO file of the recording, and if Sony haven't implemented the compliant writing of this information at the time of recording then it won't work. The only way of getting full compliant playback switching is by altering the IFO file, in which case ANY anamorphic recording on ANY type of disc (SL or DL) will be translated in to the correct aspect ratio and hopefully the display can be stimulated to auto switch.
    The only way to alter the IFO file is via a PC and some re-authoring work, but many aren't too thrilled about that prospect. Nevertheless it's probably the only way of unlocking the potential of these recordings.

BTW it sounds like the Sony will record and playback on DL discs so that the material appears as 16:9 on a widescreen display, and letterboxed on a 4:3. What would be missing is the full screen 4:3 aspect, and you may not need that. Probably the playback parameters in the IFO file haven't included the aspect ratio translation to 4:3.

A caveat is that you can get double letterboxing if your display decides to letterbox an already-letterboxed recording. This may need disabling if you are viewing the Sony DL recordings on a widescreen TV.