Sony RDR-HX510/710/910 strange menu behaviour

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ArtS, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

I've noticed strange behaviour of menu in Sony RDR-HX710 (I think, that 710 is internally the same as 510 or 910). If I press Title List on remote just after turning machine on, recorder displays Title List Menu. But, if I press Timer List on remote just after turning machine on, recorder doesn't respond. I've noticed the same if I want to display eg. Tools Menu, just after turning machine on.
    Menus works well only when I first press Title Menu on remote. After that, another menus works well. Does it normal?

I would be appreciated with any responce.

ArtS :lease:

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Working from memory and a 510, you only get a timer list when you press "timer list" if you have some timed recordings set up. If not nothing happens. You just get the blue background screen (I think). I guess it should say - "you have no......etc", but there you are.

With the tools menu, you have to have the title list showing. The tools are for use with recorded titles, so it sort of makes sense.

System menu will bring up the things you can do immediately after switching on, ie without a title list showing. If you choose something like dubbing you will then be invited to select the title to dub, or whatever. Its the analogue of first selecting a title from the list, then selecting dub.

It mostly makes sense once you get into it.

3. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Timer List has several programmed titles, so it is not empty. Can you check this, when you will be at home?

Thanks anyway, ArtS :hiya:

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Right - had a play.

Timer list button on the remote does nothing when you first switch on. You have to access the list via system menu. Once you have done this then you can access it via timer list button until the next time you switch off and then on. :confused:

The manual says nothing about this.

5. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again. ;)

It seems that your recorder works the same way as mine. Probably, that issue is asociated with all HX510/710/910 machines. If I know that, I can live with it. It seems that it is "normal" behaviour (but not proper, of course). So, we have to accept that. I think, Sony should publish firmware update.

Verdict: My black beuty machine stays with me. :clap:

By the way, I'm simply curious, what do you think about the Sony's HUGE REMOTE? :devil:

Thank you very, very much.

ArtS :thumbsup:

6. Dunk1970

Dunk1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Since you both have Sony's in the range I'm thinking of getting, I wonder if you can answer the following couple of questions :-

I've heard conflicting answers to whether the 710 has DTS and Dolby Digital decoders. Some say it has (like Pixmania's site) and some say it hasn't. Those saying it hasn't suggest that it can record in those sound formats but that you still need an amp that can send the decoded signal at playback. Anyone here know the truth?

My second question is somewhat connected to the first: I have a seven year old stereo, with dolby pro logic and 5 speakers. Even if the 710 sends out the more advanced DTS and Dolby Digital signals, when the signal passes through my geriatric amp will it get downgraded to substandard pro logic anyway? ie Do I need to relegate my stereo to the bedroom and get a new setup in the lounge?

7. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony HX910 does not exhibit the symptoms mentioned above. When turned on, I can hit TOOLS or TIMER LIST or SYSTEM MENU and all work first time.

8. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigBadFun

Hmmm..., it is interesting. :confused: Maybe 910 has a little bit different version of firmware (I mean - better one)?

My last observations just after turning my machine on:
    System Menu or Title List works well, but Timer List or Tools Menu doesn't. They work only if I first hit System Menu or Title List.

Much more? The Title List could wake up recorder from standby. Timer button do the same. BigBadFun, can you wake up your machine with Timer List button?

Thank you for your response, of course.

Dunk 1970

As I know, 510/710/910 could only output digital signal in Dolby Digital or DTS by optical or coaxial terminals. You have to connect it to amplifier with build-in DD or DTS decoderes.

If you connect your recorder to amplifier with build-in Dolby Pro Logic decoder via chinch cables, recorder sends proper signal for decoding, but in Dolby Pro Logic format of course. In recorder's audio settings you can decide what type of downmixing you want to use - Dolby Pro Logic or Normal (stereo).

I'm not sure, but I think, that DVD Players (recorders) should have discrete analog output of 6 Dolby Digital channels, if they have Dolby Digital decoder build in. If they haven't, they have stereo analog output only. But, maybe I'm wrong?

ArtS :hiya:

9. Dunk1970

Dunk1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the response. I guess what you're saying means that in order for me to get the more advanced sound separation, I'll need to upgrade my amp.

10. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ArtS, OK, I tried turning my machine to standby and activating it with other buttons. Timer (ie: set a new timer entry), and Title List switch the machine on and jump to the relevant function screen!! :clap: however, Timer List, System Menu, and Tools do nothing. :rolleyes:

11. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BigBadFun.

Your machine do the same as mine in this condition.

Anyway, I would like to be sure about your machine's behaviour. Could you do two experimentation and report results?

Experiment 1
    a) Turn the machine off.
    b) Turn the machine on.
    c) Press Timer List.

Experiment 2
    a) Turn the machine off.
    b) Turn the machine on.
    c) Press Tools.

I'll be very appreciated.

Thanks again, ArtS :hiya:

12. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly, if you want to enjoy with full DD or DTS environment, you have to obtain new amp.

Good Luck, ArtS :hiya:

13. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ArtS!

Both experiments bought up the menus first time after OFF/ON. :smashin:

Maybe they have different firmware... how do you tell what firmware you have?

14. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, BigBadFun.

I don't know what version of firmware I have, but my 710 do the same as 510 mentioned above. I think, I have to contact costumer support about this issue.

Thanks again.

15. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi ArtS

Did you get your 710 from Pixmania?? if so are you happy with Pixmania and the machine, apart from the obvious problem.

I was thinking of getting the 510 before I saw this on pixmania, also needed the DV in, I assume its front located?? as I cant find one pic on the net of the front of this machine with its flap down!!

any advice appreciated :smashin:

Cheers

CN

16. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ComfortablyNumb

I'm so happy with the machine. My machine no came from Pixmania, but someone from this forum bougth 710 or 910 from them and he is probably so happy with it.

710 has DV, S-Video, Composite and Audio inputs on front panel covered by the flap.

ArtS

17. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks ArtS

Time to get the credit card out :thumbsup: , after 3 months of looking and thinking and reading decision time has arrived :D

Cheers

CN

18. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really, so as mine! :thumbsup:

19. Dunk1970

Dunk1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been doing the same procrastinating and pricewatching. The thing I'm debating is that Pixmania are offering the non-Freeview version for over £100 less than the few other places I've found that are currently selling the 710 with integrated Freeview box included.

I have a Freeview box inbuilt in my fairly new TV, so I'm not so bothered about spending another £100+ to get another one. Does anyone know if anything else is missing from the Pixmania 'grey import'?

20. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ordered :smashin:

21. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dunk

I had the same concerns and had a look at www.sony.fr, my French is pretty naff but you get the jist of things and as far as I could see nothing else missing, although it does say it has Video+ and showview, I'd read it wouldnt have vid+, but even if it doesn't have vid + hardly a problem as I'll be using Sky+ for all of my recording, so like you i couldnt care less about the freeview tuner, also plenty of threads on here re the 710, they may help, I have seen this advertised on UK sites at £449.00 which make you think shop price will possibly br £499, if you're potentially saving £200, a grey Import is worth a punt IMHO.

Cheers
    CN

22. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a good news. :smashin:

Did you order 710?
    Could you check menu behaviour described above just after receiving your machine?

Thank You

23. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Arts

Ordered the 710 :smashin:
    I'll let u know when I finally get to play with it properly which will be next weekend as im working this one :(

Dunk1970

One thing about pixmania, the manual wont be in English, although there is a link on the website for Sony Manuals, just printing the 116 pages off now, at work of course ;) , it would be rude not to......

24. Dunk1970

Dunk1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, I noticed that the manual was down as being in French when I looked at Pixmania. I'll be interested in hearing how you get on with it and hoping you don't have any unpleasant surprises with it being a product setup for another country. Hopefully, it'll just be a couple of settings and that's it.

25. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad just ordered ANOTHER HX910 for himself!! - He got sick of Mum programming all her guff on it and hogging it.... so that's 3 already - is my 4th one free Sony??? :thumbsup:

26. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi comfortablynumb

Did you get a picture of her with her flaps open? :thumbsup: , (oh..err dvd recorder that is)

If so can you post :thumbsup:

ta...marty :D
    (stoned, them bongs are good)

27. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LOL :rotfl:

No sadly I didnt but ArtS posted this "710 has DV, S-Video, Composite and Audio inputs on front panel covered by the flap", I'll confirm once mine arrives.

Cheers

28. Dunk1970

Dunk1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Drums fingers while he waits to hear news of ComfortablyNumb's French 710.
    Has it arrived yet ... huh huh ... has it?

:)

29. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Dunk

Yes she's arrived, delivered to the door for £316, I've only had a chance to play with it for the past couple of evenings and yes I can confirm that it has DV, S-Video, Composite and Audio inputs on front panel under the flap, but although the Sony france website says it has Video+, it doesnt, just showtime or whatever the european equivilant is called, but as I'm using my Sky+ to record the programmes this doesnt bother me in the slightest :).

Very easy to use so far and I've only had a little play with it

Cheers

CN

30. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Dunk

Yes she's arrived, delivered to the door for £316, I've only had a chance to play with it for the past couple of evenings and yes I can confirm that it has DV, S-Video, Composite and Audio inputs on front panel under the flap, but although the Sony france website says it has Video+, it doesnt, just showtime or whatever the european equivilant is called, but as I'm using my Sky+ to record the programmes this doesnt bother me in the slightest :).

Very easy to use so far and I've only had a little play with it

Cheers

CN