sony RDR-HX510 €396 on Pixmania

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pug13, Oct 10, 2005.

1. pug13

pug13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have noticed that the sony RDR-HX510 is only €396 on pixmania this is very good considering its €600 every where in Dublin :confused: but is there a catch? are these european models going to work in ireland (ie do thy have a vhf tuner to pick up terrestial stations)? does any body know ? i have e-mailed pixmania and am awaiting a reply. also i noticed the web site says a "multi-brand remote control" included does this explain the low price. Does any body know what the "S" on the end of RDR-HX510 means, you see it some times. :confused:

2. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "S" denotes the colour of the unit - silver versus black. Don't know about the other stuff though.

3. podgerodge

podgerodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi pug13, as I'm from Dublin and have purchased the HX710 (about Eur450) from Pixmania I can answer your questions!

Yep, its nearly 600 euro in the sony shop in Jervis street - I still slag them anytime I drop in. It's the same model.

The european model DOES have the VHF tuner so no probs with the channels - it's actually the UK model if and when it comes out that you would have a problem with.
    The multi remote just means you can configure it to use it with your television etc - its still a Sony remote.
    I am only speaking for the HX710 but the 510 should be the same - but I would strongly advise you to get the 160 gig version for the extra 50 quid or so - 1) because you have double the storage and 2) cos it has the DV in - connecting a digital camcorder which the hx510 does NOT have.

podge

4. pug13

pug13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that podgerodge, i think i''l get the 710, could you recomend any speaker package to go with that, prefably sony and without a dvd player, there is some good prices on pixmania but i could not find any reviews of the kit there selling (not even on the sony uk website) .thanks again

5. grd2

grd2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure if this is any relevance in Dublin but i am investigating a 910 option in England and "Northerner100" has pointed out that RDR-HXD 910 denotes digital freeview tuner rather than analogue without the "D".

6. Tony H

Tony H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pug,

Just a word of warning - saw a post on another forum about that company.

They really slagged them off coz they brought it in UK (UK addresses on web site etc) but when they had a problem it had to be sent to France (where I understand from the post they are actually based!). It cost him £50 so you might want to bear that in mind.

Tony H