1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX1000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kornmod, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm planning on buying the Sony RDR-HX1000, but before I do I would like to know if any of you guys have any experience with this machine, and wheter it's a good choice or if I should buy a different recorder.
    My 2 main reasons for choosing the Sony RDR-HX1000 are:
    1. Good reviews
    2. Most of my A/V products are Sony

2. DrChris

DrChris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I have just purchased the 900 and on picture and sound quality I give it 100%. Editing is better on other makes but I based my choice on quality and I have not seen anything that can beat it. It also has component out, a must if you have plasma, LCD or projector. :thumbsup:

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    My advice would be to explore this forum, and also download the manual to make sure you understand the features of the machine first.

All reports are that it is an excellent machine quality wise, but the editing functions are limited. (e.g. lack of a divide function, to be able to take a long recording and split it over more than 1 disc). Also more limited in the number of quality settings.

These functions may not be important to you, in which case the Sony may be your best choice. But it is better to understand what features you will want before taking the plunge.

Mark

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Can I also suggest having a quick look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature. Answers the basic DVD recorder FAQs.

5. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had mine since xmas - very pleased so far - PQ is superb (especially via prog scan - you can even route Sky through it) and I find the editing more than enough for my needs.
    I rarely record anything more than 2 hours and if I do I just record it in 2 halves (you can even set the timer to do this for you as 2 events). It is very user-friendly and the DVD playback walks over my Pioneer 565. Also build quality is very high. The only gripe I have is that there is no facility to pad out a recording by 5-10 minutes when using the EPG on my Sony TV thereby making this useless - have to set it manually every time to avoid missing the end - not a big deal though as the timer is so easy to set anyway.

6. Ricardfred

Ricardfred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 900 and I am very impressed with it. Its a top class dvd player, which was one of my main priorities. Produces a beautiful picture through both RGB and component. So far I have only been using the HDD as I dont have much need to archive stuff so cant comment on the editing side of things. Recording is so easy and the picture quality is as good as broadcast even in SP mode. So if you want to ditch your VCR and have a top of the range dvd player it cant be beat.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Same problem on the Sony GXD500 Freeview DVD recorder - hopefully Sony will correct this in their new models - but I won't hold my breath. I hope other producers take note as well!

8. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thx for your replies. I've found the Sony RDR-HX1000 on a German website for roughly £580 (that's including s&h), so I think it's gonna be it. I'll let you know the pros and cons once I get it up and running.

9. Pilch

Pilch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's got 'timer extend' or something hasn't it? If you use the 'tools' button while recording.

As a general answer to whether to ge the Sony, I got the HX900 and picture quality is fantastic, I hadn't even used the HQ+ mode until just the other day because I couldn't distinguish between HQ and my usual Freeview picture.