1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX1000 or Panasonic DMR-E500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David Weller, Oct 22, 2004.

1. David Weller

David Weller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic wont record to RW discs

The Sony has no "divide" function

Both are rated for record quality, both have large HDD

So if it is your money which would you go for ?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Well obviously it depends what you want to do doesn't it? If you want to Divide stuff get the E500, if you want to record on DVD-RW get the Sony ;)

Seriously what uses do you want to make of your DVDR - that will answer the question for you!

Do you want to play your recordings in an (e.g.) upstairs DVD player? If not then the odds of you using DVD-RW much is slim anyway - mostly you'll find you'll use DVD-R whichever machine you get. So possible this isn't a big issue to you?

What sort of running times will you be dubbing to DVDR? If over 2hrs the better MPEG encoder of the Panny may be an issue.

Will you be dubbing to DVDR in high speed mode or need to re-encode? If the latter then the Sony offers a sophisicated 2pass re-encoding so 2nd generation copies look great.

Does the MPEG4 recording and PC/SD Card slots of the Panasonic interest you?

3. David Weller

David Weller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really interested in the pc/sd card slots of the Panasonic.

Liked the fact the Sony can be switched into record using EPG from freeview box.

I have quite a few ram discs so i suppose DVD-RW is not a big issue, DVD-R ar cheap as chips now anyway.

Likely to only dub the odd film to keep.My main use for machine is to record programmes to watch at later time or timeslip.

The ability to divide would be nice.Got used to the functionality of the Toshiba RD-XS30 but need bigger HDD

Looks like the Pannasonic, or wait and see what Sony bring out in 2005.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Toshiba have a 250GB HDD/DVD-RAM/-RW/-R integrated Freeview recorder out March next year if that is of interest. Details are sketchy at present by the model number is the RDXS34.

5. David Weller

David Weller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak,

Looks like i need to stick with RD-XS30 till after Xmas and wait and see what the new year brings.

Thanks again

David

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    It has divide in the sony manual :

Attached Files:

7. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that this only applies to -RW(VR mode), and not to HDD.
    Is there any technical reason for this? Isn't the divide function similar in both cases?
    It could have been implemented on the HDD too for the same price....

Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Yes - because the current MPEG encoder on the Sony is unable to support it. Unlike the Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba range, the Sony encodes digitally using 2pass encoding. This means to support Divide further refinements would need to be made which would either mean a new chip or an additional one. Ultimately you have to remember the Sony machines were designed for Digital Tuners where programmes are recorded via EPGs - thus each programme would be an individual recording limiting the need for a Divide function.

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No DIVIDE on the Sony,and no -RW on the Panny.So both are fundamentally flawed.Interestingly,HCC reviews the Panny and calls it the KING of dvd recorders.Yet ,the front cover picture of the Sony is captioned as the ULTIMATE dvd recorder.Is there a difference?
    No thumbnails,no divide and more.As usual,Sony are underspecified and overpriced,while the Panny is simply overpriced,although I'm sure some online retailers will be charging a more realistic price than £1300

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The online price seems to be floating around £1000. Still seems an awful lot to me - the machine is well built but not that well built. It seems a massive price hike over the E95 for not that much.

11. dis169

dis169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd argue that there isn't a technical reason for it. Obviously i don't know quite how the file storage is achieved, and Rasczak may, but i'd bet that a software update could add the functionality (if a software update is even possible). If anyone knows that i'm worng please correct me but the 2 pass encoding isn't applied until your burning to disc, if its applied to the HQ+ recordings i'll be even more impressed with the device. Even so, the Mpeg stream should still be able to split resulting in 2 distinct recordings that can then be burned to disc or split again etc.

FYI i'm on the verge of ordering a HX900, the only thing stoping me at the moment is fear that a revised model may be released in 05 instead of offering a software upgrade.

12. grumpy42

grumpy42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really like to know why it is not technically feasable. If it is smart enough to handle "a-b erase", it can certainly handle "divide". A divide (depending on the underlying implentation) would create two separate and distinct titles. The encoder would not even have to do anything differently. Even if the "divide" function is implemented by just "marking" the divide point, how hard is it for the encoder to start and stop at the divide point.

I fail to see how "2-pass" encoding negates the possibily of a "divide" function. Then again, I fail to understand the numerous arbitrary limitations that manufacturers seem to introduce into otherwise fine products. I mean 8 bloody event timers in the European version - while the rest of the world gets 30! Does that make any sense?

13. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to agree with you both. I also thought that 2 pass encoding isn't applied until you burn to disc.

You're on the ball there, if it's smart enough to handle "a-b erase" which basically involves cutting the recorded mpeg stream (possibly re-encoding the start and end points), why can't it do a (simple) divide??? How different could they be? Is "title divide" more complex than "a-b erase" to implement?

14. Robert040

Robert040

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In an extensive product brochure, that was part of a German magazine, I read that it doesn't need 2-pass DVD recording, because in HQ(+) HDD recordings, the quality information is included with the HQ data stream.

On the other hand, when having done recordings or edits, I did notice that after switching it off (i.e. to standby mode), the machine will keep the HD spinning for a very long time (many hours). This is noticible when at some time intervals the Fan starts blowing. To hear the harddisk, you need to place your ear directly on the machine. Multiple times I noticed that in the morning the machine was still operating silently, even though it wasn't used for more than eight hours.
    I was thinking that it may be generationg this extra 2-nd pass info in the background, while on standby.

Robert.

15. Manti

Manti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Could someone please explain me what "divide" exactly means on a DVD recorder?

Thanks in advance,

M.F.

16. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The divide function allows you to split one title into 2.Its a function that really comes into its own on HDD,which is why the Sony is a bit poor to miss it off the HDD features,while allowing divides on dvd.
    Example:you transfer multiple recordings from Sky+ overnight,say 6 hours with 7 different shows or episodes.You then want to divide that 6 hour block into individual programmes so that you can edit the ads and then copy to dvd.The block may consist of episodes from different series,so obviously you need to be able to put them on different discs.

18. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will split a recording into 2 or more seperate recordings.
    I noticed that it was commented that the Sony recorder was Freeview EPG compatible, but bear in mind that all Panasonic DVD recorder also do this as they have External Link 2 for set top boxes and Q-Link for Panasonic IDTV's (& VIERA).

The Panny is loads better BTW.

19. BrianPotter

BrianPotter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also considering the Panny or the Sony; what does 'Freeview EPG compatible' actually mean?

I've currently got a Pace Twin, which is a load of :thumbsdow and hence the reason for looking at a new PVR. The EPG is great though, being able to select the program you wish to record from a list is a real benefit; one however I thought I'd lose if moving back to analogue?

I'm also pretty interested in the MPEG4 support and the ability to transfer AVI's to the Panny's HD. Are there any limitations of the type of MPEG4, for example will it play XviD?

And finally does anyone know if the Panny supports PAL Prog Scan?

20. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Split a recording into one or more pieces.
    If you recorded two consecutive TV programs as one recording, 'divide' would let you split the single recording into two.

21. Tadek

Tadek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread has not been raised for a long time... Any new experiences? What is the picture quality difference? It is being said that the encoder in Sony is worse, but on the other hand it has 2-pass re-encoding... So finally, which one would be producing a better picture while transferring from VHS?