1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR-HX1000 copy problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pilgrim, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.
    My brother-in-law has a Sony RDR-HX1000 dvd-recorder and he's trying to record some DVD to the HDD. It's not possible to do it. I believe the reason is the Macrovision protection. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to go around this (some remote hack)?
    Another possibility would be to use another DVD-Player as source (he has a Sony S335) but the Macrovision topic rises again.

Appreciate all the help you can give me. :lease:

Thanks.

Pilgrim

2. Cippico

Cippico
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the RDRHX900 (smaller HD) and I have found that you can't dub anything from DVD to HDD that wasn't originally recorded on the unit. I know that doesn't help, but it's just another example of how Sony have limited the firmware in these otherwise excellent recorders. I mean: no divide function??? What planet were they on?

Andy

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cippico.

I noticed that and found it really strange. :eek:

It looks like Sony doesn't know that, one might want to have some original dvd (take audio dvd's for example) copied into the HDD. :)

Have you ever tried to use another dvd player as source?

Pilgrim

4. Krudler

Krudler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to take it a step further, I have tried another DVD machine and I also tried to record the DVD onto a video tape first, and then copy it onto the HDD. (I want to archive my old Simpsons tapes).

The titles came out perfectly and then the protection kicked in and everything from then on was blank (although it recorded perfectly onto the video tape).

Maybe someone has a solution to this problem?

Krudler :(

5. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, using another dvd player as source would be more of a CGMS copy protection issue. That's a signal instructing the dvd recorder to not even start recording, whereas macrovision distorts the picture.

There are ways around this, but I don't know if this forum allows discussing it.
    EDIT: Just read "announcement" at top of forums. The answer seems to be NO.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MarkhamPete.

Can you point me to a site where my problem might be solved?
    Thanks.

Pilgrim

7. Video Filter

Video Filter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pilgrim,

There is a solution to your problem, I can't give you a link but you can E_mail me at logicdesign718@cfl.rr.com

8. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Methinks I better email you too. I recently purchased the HX-900 and it looks like I shall find myself in similar circumstances. I have noticed, on pre recorded DVDs, not only is it impossible to dub a title to the HDD, but the title list does not even appear. Talk about playing safe! However, my machine is a multiregion job. I sometimes have relatives popping over from Canada, who might bring some discs with them.

9. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick addition to my previous post.

Page 72 of the user manual states: "You cannot dub from DVD VIDEOS or a DVD recorded on other DVD equipment to the HDD."

But wait... Page 73 then tells you: "Some DVD VIDEOs or TV programmes contain copy protection signals such as 'Copy never' or 'Copy once'."

Therefore, a DVD which has no copy protection signals can be copied onto the HDD and back onto another DVD according to this page. How's that for a contradiction?

10. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It seems clear from this post that CGMS is not the only factor:

11. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Video Filter,

Thanks for the email. It would solve the problem of copying between two recording machines but what about the DVD to HDD dubbing on the same machine? Can the internals be modified (invalidating the warranty, I know!) to allow copying?

The only other way would be for me to drag my machine to someone else's house to do the copying.

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wish to copy commercial dvd's,the easiest option is to use a PC rewriter.They are dirt cheap and if you have Nero then a program to remove CP can be downloaded for free.This route will enable you to retain menus.extras and any 5.1 sound.
    Player to recorder is one way.Using the special scart leads available from sites we cannot mention,you could connect the output scart to the input scart on your machine and play dvd while recording on HDD.Surely even shortsighted Sony don't block that facility

13. Video Filter

Video Filter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you can control the CGMS code in the original recording, you should be able to DUB from HDD to DVD or DVD to HDD. That is the key. You would have control of the CGMS code. You can set it to "Copy Always", "Copy Once" or turn it off altogether.