1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RDR HX 900 or PIONEER DVR 720H?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mimi88, Dec 28, 2004.

1. mimi88

mimi88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

As a hardworking woman, I always come home late, so want to watch what has been recorded that evening without wasting time viewing the advertisments. I also want to watch DVD movies.

I am not very technical ;) so would like answer to the following questions :

1.When recording a movie and start watching it 20 minutes later on HDD, I want to skip (as fast as possible) the advertisments to watch the next part of the movie, how does that work in practice? (fast-forward, smart-skip,time-skip...?)

2.When recording from tv and watching the recording, I read that some people notice that the audio and the video with the sony are not synchronized. Does every sony-user has this problem? What about the Pioneer?

3.Is the TVguide compatible with sattelite-tv (as thats all I have)

4.Do they both come with progressive scan?

5.What is the IRblaster for sattelite-control for?

6.Can you connect a PC to the recorders?

7.How is the soundquality, I read that Sony only has Dolby sound?

8.What is a digital decoder and which product has it?

Thanks,

Mimi

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Every machine implements it slightly differently. But it is generally a very easy thing to achieve: press the 'Timeslip' button or equivalent and then use the normal navigation keys (play, pause, FF, RW etc) to watch as you wish.

You'll find that is almost cetrainly a problem with the broadcast and not the DVD recorder.

Whereabouts in the world are you? Only the North American version of each machine has a TV Guide.

No - the Pioneer 420 has no component output or progressive scan

No - you cannot connect a PC to the DVD recorders other than using (e.g.) an S-Video out for recording the screen picture. You can't transfer files for anything like that. The only DVD recorder with a PC connection (Ethernet) is the Panasonic E500.

No - both units have Dolby Digital recording. All DVD recorders record in DD2.0 (2 channel as opposed to 5.1 you normally get on commercial DVDs). The Pioneer has a LPCM mode for recordings of material such as music concerts - so this may be a factor in your choice if you do alot of that - otherwise it's a non-issue.

This means the machine is capable of decoding Dolby Digital and DTS (and sometimes DVD-Audio as well) from the digital 'code' to an anlogue output where it is then fed to an Amp and onto speakers. The only major DVD recorder with this feature is the Panasonic E500. This is because in practise most people use a Optical Digital/Coaxial cable to output the digital bitstream to a receiver/home cinema setup which itself does the decoding.

Just as a note I wouldn't limit your choices to the Pioneer and Sony. The Panasonic and Toshiba RDXS32 are well worth investigating as well.

3. mimi88

mimi88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JamesL,

Do u have the Sony or Pioneer DVDRecorder?

U said use "Timeslip", I heard that a Philips uses a 30seconds jump, but since advertisemens are mostly a few minutes, how does the Sony of Pioneer do it exactly? I read that some DVDrecorders have a timeskip u can set yourself (e.g. 2 minutes)

I am living in Thailand and only watch sattelite tv (and no worries, not hit by tsunami). Can I "program" my own guide in the recorder, or am I talking nonsence now?

Thanks again,

Mimi