• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sony RDR HX 900 dvd media compatibility

D

dw1963

i have had a sony rdr hx900 dvd/hdd recorder for almost 3 years now and for some time have had problems dubbing from hdd to certain types/brands of media, as summarised below;

verbatim dvd-r - initially worked fine but when i started using a new batch of discs, dubbing would start, after a few minutes the process would stop, the 'disc is dirty' message would appear and the machine would go into 'safety mode',

phillips dvd+r - machine would not accept these discs, displaying 'format failed', 'disc is dirty' messages

kodak dvd+r - bought last saturday. dubbing from hdd worked fine with the first disc. i tried 2 more and in each case, several minutes into dubbing the process would cease and the error c13 'disc is dirty' message would appear

the following types of disc work with no problems;

tdk dvd +r/w, tdk dvd+r, kodak dvd +r/w.

almost 2 years ago i bought a denon dvd1920 player which became my primary playback source and thereafter the dvd drive in my sony was never used, except for occasional dubbing from hdd to disc. I have wondered if the laser lens might have become dirty due to lack of use and have considered trying a dvd lens cleaner. unsuprisinly the user manual warns against using such devices, as 'a malfunction may result'

has anyone out there got any idea what might be causing these disc compatibility problems, or had any experience of using a dvd lens cleaner in the sony rdr hx900?

thanks

M

mrfreeview

i have had a sony rdr hx900 dvd/hdd recorder for almost 3 years now and for some time have had problems dubbing from hdd to certain types/brands of media, as summarised below;

verbatim dvd-r - initially worked fine but when i started using a new batch of discs, dubbing would start, after a few minutes the process would stop, the 'disc is dirty' message would appear and the machine would go into 'safety mode',

phillips dvd+r - machine would not accept these discs, displaying 'format failed', 'disc is dirty' messages

kodak dvd+r - bought last saturday. dubbing from hdd worked fine with the first disc. i tried 2 more and in each case, several minutes into dubbing the process would cease and the error c13 'disc is dirty' message would appear

the following types of disc work with no problems;

tdk dvd +r/w, tdk dvd+r, kodak dvd +r/w.

almost 2 years ago i bought a denon dvd1920 player which became my primary playback source and thereafter the dvd drive in my sony was never used, except for occasional dubbing from hdd to disc. I have wondered if the laser lens might have become dirty due to lack of use and have considered trying a dvd lens cleaner. unsuprisinly the user manual warns against using such devices, as 'a malfunction may result'

has anyone out there got any idea what might be causing these disc compatibility problems, or had any experience of using a dvd lens cleaner in the sony rdr hx900?

thanks

I've got a HX1000 which apart from disk size is the same as HX900.

I started getting problems with DUB to DVD and being advised that the disk was dirty. Playback was not a problem...only record to DVD.

I only use DVD-R and some would work others wouldn't.

In the end I purchased a CD cleaning disk from PCworld. It was quite expensive. It has small groups of brushes on the underside. You add no chemicals, the brushes "dry wipe" the lens. I also purchased a can of dry air.

So with the DVD draw open I poked the tube of the dry air about 1" inside and sprayed around inside. (Clearly I didn't want the tube of the dry air to physically touch the Lens) Then I ran the CD cleaner.

Since then no problems.

I hope my post has been of use :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom