Sony RDR-HDX910 DVD/HDD Recorder - Is this Normal?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MCNIPS, Aug 28, 2006.

1. MCNIPS

MCNIPS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new Sony RDR-HDX910 DVD/HDD Recorder is a lot noisier than I expected. Not sure if it's the internal fan or something else inside which makes the "humming" sort of noise, but it is so distracting that I have to keep it switched off unless I am actually recording or playing it. Also, for several minutes after I switch it on, during HDD "Loading", I get very loud "white noise" on the TV, together with black and white streaks on the screen. Is this normal?

2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
    On my 910 I see the rolling black and white 'smear when the player is first powered-up and it defaults to input L1. I also see the same on a Sony DVD recorder, so I assume that it's just 'one of those things', especially as it doesn't occur in normal use.

All of my Sony recorders have a habit whereby from ~04:30 each morning until about 07:00 they run their fans and/or HDs. This happens fairly infrequently and a power cycle stops the problem occuring for a couple of months again.

In use, my 910 is almost silent, well silent in that you can't here the machine whilst watching something unless perhaps you get a very quiet scene. In any event, the fan in my plasma drowns-out any player noise.

Based on your post it would seem like you have a duff player. A replacement or warranty fix would seem to be the order of the day.

Clem

3. MCNIPS

MCNIPS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much - I'll take it back!