Sony RDR-GXD500 and Sony DVP-NS355

farry

Novice Member
Reaction score
Converting the Sony RDR-GXD500 digital-tuner DVD-recorder to multi-region involves sending it five special custom-programmed remote codes. These are the same codes that are required for the Sony DVP-NS355 DVD-player, so if you do a web search on that, you can find ways to program these codes into a Palm Pilot, or a laptop with an IR port. But the cheapest way, if you don't already have one of those is with an OFA remote which costs about £20. Here's the process:

Get a One-For-All universal remote that has a DVD key and a "magic" key,
such as the One-For-All-4.

* Select DVD device on OFA remote
* Hold magic key until double flash on DVD key
* Enter device code 0533

The RDR-GXD500 DVD recorder must be set to command mode "DVD1", and its
own remote set to the same mode like this:

* Switch on recorder and point its own remote at it
* System-Menu -> Setup -> Options -> Command-Mode
* Select DVD1
* Set remote's Command-Mode switch (under the cover) to DVD-1
* Verify that recorder can be switched on and off with both remotes

Now program function code 189 into button 1 of the OFA remote like this:

1. Hold magic button until double flash on DVD key
2. Press 994
3. Press magic button (don't hold)
4. Press 189
5. Press 1 - double flash indicates success

Advanced OFA remotes such as the Kameleon have five digit function codes,
in which case, press 00189 for step 4 above.

Now program function codes into buttons 2-5 like this:

* Repeat steps 1-3, then 255 2
* Repeat steps 1-3, then 095 3
* Repeat steps 1-3, then 221 4
* Repeat steps 1-3, then 079 5

Now the actual conversion of the RDR-GXD500 DVD recorder to region-free:

* Put DVD recorder on standby and point OFA remote at it.
* Press 12345 - "TIMER OK" is displayed, and recorder starts up
* Press 12345 - Recorder goes back to standby

The RDR-GXD500 DVD recorder is now multi-region.
Clear the OFA remote by removing its batteries for a while.

I can confirm this also works with Sony RDR 510, I did it using a OFA kameleon 6.

To do it with a OFA Kameleon 6 -
To do this the Command Mode of the Remote Control and Device needs to be set to DVD1

1. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
2. Press Dev Set
2. Press DVD
3. Press 0533 (flashes twice)
4. Press OK (flashes twice)
5. Press Esc and Esc again
6. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
7. Press Keymagic
8. Press DVD
9. Press Magic Key
10. Press 00189
11. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice)
Repeat 6 - 11 for
00255 - 2
00095 - 3
00221 - 4
00079 - 5
12. Put DVD recorder on standby and point OFA remote at it.
13. Press 12345 - "TIMER OK" is displayed, and recorder starts up
14. Press 12345 - Recorder goes back to standby

It really works!!!

All the best

Bumper:thumbsup:

It's also possible to unlock this recorder, and indeed most recent sony machines using a laptop with an infra-red port.

I know because I have done it!!

The info below is copied from another source, but please read my notes below that.

1. Download the winsamp -package from Blank Franks site.
This innovative piece of software allows you to send standard home electronics IR signals using a PC IRDA port.
2. Extract the package onto a bootable DOS floppy disk.
3. Save the following code into a file named "REMOTE.TXT" and put it in the same and place it in the same directory as the package above.

"Sony Region Free Code 1",84,24,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6, 12,6,6,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6, 6,117,24,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6, 12,6,6,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6, 6,117
"Sony Region Free Code 2",84,24,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,12, 6,6,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,1 18,24,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6 ,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,118
"Sony Region Free Code 3",84,24,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12, 6,6,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,1 18,24,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6 ,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,118
"Sony Region Free Code 4",84,24,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,1 2,6,6,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6 ,117,24,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12 ,6,6,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6, 117
"Sony Region Free Code 5",84,24,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,12,6 ,6,6,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,11 8,24,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6 ,12,6,12,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,6,6,6,12,6,6,118

4. Boot up your PC from the floppy disk and run winsamp.exe.
If your IRDA port doesn't appear as COM2 you may override this by using an appropriate command line switch. For example, use COM1 by running 'winsamp C1'.
5. Press the 'r' key to load up the codes into winsamp.
6. Make sure your DVD player is in standby mode and your IRDA port is within range.
7. Run the IR codes from 1 to 5 by pressing Enter on each corresponding button.
8. Your DVD player should start up and display the text "SUCCESS".
9. Repeat step 7. Your player should return to standby mode.
Your player is now multi-region.

Notes:
1. not all players display 'SUCCESS', some will display 'TIMER OK'
2. it's not essential to extract the winsamp package to a floppy, or to boot the computer in DOS mode if you are using windows 98 or lower. running the program in a DOS shell works fine. I think it may be necessary if using a computer running XP.
3. after unlocking my machine, I was able to successfully play a region 1 DVD. However, because it used the NTSC colour format, pictures appeared black and white on my PAL TV. This was because i was using a composite video connection. Changing the connection to RGB restored full colour (and sharper picture generally).

I hope the above is helpful.

I note that an admin or somebody has changed the title of this thread to include the DVP-NS355. When I said that the 5 special codes that need to be sent to the RDR-GXD500 were the same as the codes for the DVP-NS355, I didn't mean that the whole procedure was the same. The selection of the DVD-1 switch is specific to later Sony players/recorders and doesn't apply to the DVP-NS355, because it doesn't have that switch.

Sony region-1 players/recorders can NOT be converted to multi-region with this hack, and I believe that the DVP-NS355 is available as a region-1 version. They need to have the programmable multi-region chip soldered in first, which is something that I can't recommend. The hack works for other regions - and I think it's all other regions. I didn't mention this fact for the RDR-GXD500 for the very good reason that this is a UK-only region-2 DTT-tuner recorder and is not available as region-1.

Finally, will anybody that's tried this hack please report success or failure in this thread, and say which model of OFA remote that you used and whether it needed 3-digit or 5-digit special function codes or some other method of programming the codes. Was the device code of 0533 correct for your particular remote? If not, check the remote's manual for device codes for Sony players and recorders and try those, and tell us which worked. Also say which model of Sony player/recorder you tried this hack on, and which region it was originally set to.

farry said:
When I said that the 5 special codes that need to be sent to the RDR-GXD500 were the same as the codes for the DVP-NS355, I didn't mean that the whole procedure was the same.

All Sony manufacturered products (not OEM models with the sony badge applied!) produced since 2000 accept the same PAL IR service codes, regardless of model. Only difference is how each model responds after input (message displayed). On DAV models, they must be in service mode first. Non-Sony OEM products (i.e LG produced RDR-GX200, DAV-SB100 / 200, AVD-LS100, etc) will NOT work.

farry said:
Sony region-1 players/recorders can NOT be converted to multi-region with this hack, and I believe that the DVP-NS355 is available as a region-1 version. They need to have the programmable multi-region chip soldered in first, which is something that I can't recommend. The hack works for other regions - and I think it's all other regions.

You can only modify dual format PAL / NTSC models via these specific service codes (i.e R2 or R4). NO OTHER dual format models accept this set of service codes (i.e Region 3 Asia). NTSC only models ((i.e USA / Canada that are NOT dual format PAL/NTSC) CANNOT be modified for all region playback by any means - there is a set of service codes to change the regional coding, but this is pointless as NTSC models are not capable of PAL playback regardless of if modified or not.

Hi, I purchased the oneforall 6 way from argos for £20. Put in the codes and my Sony DAV-Z500 system played multi-region discs!! It worked straight away no problems. Thanks again. Do you know if the same thing can be done with a Panasonic dvd..and what the codes are for it?:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

russellf said:
Do you know if the same thing can be done with a Panasonic dvd..and what the codes are for it?:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Sorry , Panasonic models CANNOT be hacked by any means, other then either buying one pre-modded, or via a special service remote that CANNOT be cloned :( Most Panasonic dealers can do this (for a fee) or from a modification dealer.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214212

help me!! how can I do to hack this Sony RDR-HX710 ?? (stup..)If it need a remote control, se tell me the name, where, and what to do! I spended 500 euros and I can not see my brazilians films!!! Oh my god !!!:( :lease:

Suzanaweb,

Unfortunately there are a lot of variables for what you are asking.

I would assume the RDR-HX710 would be the same as the 510 I did. If that is the case I posted all of my keystrokes for the One For All Kameleon 6 key by key.

You can try and repeat this but you would need to purchase a OFA kameleon 6 which would be about another 100 euros, a bit expensive.

The other options is to purchase a cheaper One For All 6, or a One For all Kameleon 4 and follow other instructions on this thread.

OR

If you have a Windows Mobile PC based PDA with an infrared port you could try that method.

So all in all not very straightforward.

If you have got any of these devices and you are still struggling, post again and we shall see if we sort it out.

Good Luck,

Bumper

hello! Thanks. I'm looking for a remote control kameleon6 about 78 euros...So, what I need to do? the same thinks to sony 510? sorry my english...Could you repeat? thank you a lot!! suzana:clap:

Just for you,

To do it with a OFA Kameleon 6 -
To do this the Command Mode of the Remote Control and Device needs to be set to DVD1

1. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
2. Press Dev Set
2. Press DVD
3. Press 0533 (flashes twice)
4. Press OK (flashes twice)
5. Press Esc and Esc again
6. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
7. Press Keymagic
8. Press DVD
9. Press Magic Key
10. Press 00189
11. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice)
Repeat 6 - 11 for
00255 - 2
00095 - 3
00221 - 4
00079 - 5
12. Put DVD recorder on standby and point OFA remote at it.
13. Press 12345 - "TIMER OK" is displayed, and recorder starts up
14. Press 12345 - Recorder goes back to standby

These are all the instructions you need key for key - Steps 6 to 11 need to be repeated with the 5 digit code (step 10) being assigned to the single digit (step 11). So for the next one the 5 digits will be 00255 for step 10, the single digit for step 11 will be 2 and then so on

The only thing I didn't put any detail to was changing the Remote Control Command Device to DVD1. Have a look in the manual. You need to go into the System menu and physically move the switch on the remote control. Go into the System Menu first otherwise if you move the switch you won't be able to go into the system menu, until you move the switch back.

Hopefully it'll be all:thumbsup:

Good Luck

Suzanaweb,

Without trying to confuse you, there seems to be many variations on this. Not only with the different One For All devices, but also whether you need a 5 digit code or a 3 digit code, for steps 6-10 on my list.

My advice will be to try one thing at a time. Depending on the circumstances.

The only thing I can say for certain is that my instructions using a OFA Kameleon 6 worked for my RDR 510.

Sorry I can't be any more help:(

to Bumper:
Thanks a lot!
I will order the Kameleon 6 (just now):hiya: to make my Sony a multi region free and I'm going to translate now what you told me ! muito obrigada, grazie!
suzana

Your english is much better than my italian, I hope you haven't used any rude italian words:D

good luck

Bumper

to Bumper: ahahaha...nooo! I told in portoguese(brazilian) and in italian the word thanks ! don't you speak portoghese? I think no..of course! Did you see that site with some instruction to hack a sony? http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...Sony+RDR-HX710
what do you think about?

I want to be sure that I'm not going to do somethink wrong.....
bye!
:hiya:

to Bumper:
:oops: this is the last, I promisse you!: If I have a Palm..can I do it (havk)? the instruction iwill be the same? I think not...
I'm going to take a lunch now..bye!

Suzanaweb, the cheapest One-For-All remote that has both a "DVD" key and a "MAGIC" key is the minimum cost solution. I don't know which country you're in, but I'll give a UK price as an example. A One-For-All-4-Way from Argos for £20. If you hit the "see larger image" button, you can just make out the "DVD" and "magic" keys.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344905.htm

But yes, as for the Palm Pilot, that will work if you can figure it out. You just have to set the Sony DVD recorder to "DVD-1" device-code mode, then send those five special infra-red codes.

Suzanaweb,

Sorry for the delay, had to do some work......

But regarding the Palm, a PDA (palm or pocket pc) with built in Infra Red should be able to do it....I think......But you would have to find a Remote Control software for your palm if it isn't already built in.

I don't know if codes posted on the web work on both palm or pocket pc. Hopefully someone else may be able to answer that one.

There is a point that buying an OFA Kameleon for 78 euros is a waste of money, you could probably find it easier to find a company to hack it for you for that money.

In the UK there are companies that will send you a remote control for about 30-40 euros to hack the player and then you send it back.

Or buy a cheaper One for all as the previous posts states and I'm sure we could work it out.

Bumper

Ok guys! I understand that I will buy a OFA4 at the site that Farry told to me because the price here in Italy is very very high! ( Euro 78 !!)Than I will pray to not make a mistakes!!! But I have a problem: I can not make my dvd recorder in a STANDBY mode! The options is on and off.
When I start to rec with a timer I need to leave the DVD ON...; if it is OFF the program timer do not start.:(
The instructions to hack said that the DvD-Recorder need to stay in a standby mode..so..???:

suzanaweb said:
I can not make my dvd recorder in a STANDBY mode! The options is on and off.
When I start to rec with a timer I need to leave the DVD ON...; if it is OFF the program timer do not start.:(
The instructions to hack said that the DvD-Recorder need to stay in a standby mode..so..???:

All Sony DVD recorders have a Standby mode! That is the state the unit is in when you press the front power button / standby button on the remote. - the unit shuts down and the standby led illuminates / clock displays on the front panel :) If in doubt, refer to your user manual.

to Justin:that's the problem! when I start thers no clock, just power on and after power off...I will see the manual, thanks.
To Bumper: I accept your sugestion to contact the company to make for me this work...I'm not expert..Do you know if they send the instructions with the remote control? I'm tired to try understand !
Thanks Farry, I saw the site.Is a good price!
suzana

Bumper..could you send to me the site of the company that send the chip or the remote control?? I'm in Italy and UK is ok for me..

Suzanaweb,

You really need to see if you can find someone local to Italy.

If you can't find anyone local send me a Personal Message with your full address and I will send you my OFA Kameleon with the codes already setup.

You can send it me back once complete.

Bumper

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom