Sony RDR-GX7 Recorder Demo

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Klippie, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi all,

At the weekend I had a demo of the new Sony RDR-GX7 in my local Sony Center, it looks a top class bit of kit.

I took along a Memorex or Traxdata DVD-RW disk bought from a computer shop so I could get a recording to play on my home dvd players. The machine formated the disk ok but then would not record anything onto it so the guy in the shop used a Verbatim DVD-RW which recorded perfectly, could just have been a duff disk but who knows. They recorded in two different modes i.e. 1hr and 3hr so I could compair the quality between the two.

The DVD-RW played no problem on my very old Hitachi 250E player and I could see little difference between the two recording modes, very impressive indeed.

I did not have a DVD+RW though to see if there were any differences in the recording formats some how I dont think there will be.

I would have one, its a very good looking and easy to use machine and will probably last for years if the build quality is anything to go by and the fact it can record on two types of DVD RW disks is great but at £800 its way too expensive just now.

It still looks like the Panasonic recorders are the way to at the moment but my DVD players will not play ram so I will wait for the Sony to come down in price as I found it to be that impressive.

Klippie.

2. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    getting one soon will let you know how it is

3. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    luv ya jen,

Thanks I will look forward to that.

Do you know where to get one cheap?

Klippie.

4. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    getting mine from techtronics (been waiting for stock for 3 weeks) only costing £600 thats £230 off the rrp

5. ewan hoozarmy

ewan hoozarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I would suggest this is rather academic as DVD-RW has much more flexibility/functionality than DVD+RW (i.e. the option for VR Mode).

7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Well if these functions are too difficult to be reliable (see the same sites forum for post after post of problems), then Sony isn't going to support those features and risk customers dumping the machines back at the shop for a refund.

The article from DVDplusrw is from someone who now hates Sony for not supporting the +RW format fully, they are extremely biased. The article tells us that Sony will stop supporting DVD-RW on future recorders and at that point will switch on all the features of +RW and then presumably writing to +R will be possible to. Like that makes any sense at all. What company would strip away features from a technology, so that people do not use and do not want it, then suddenly stop what their customers are using to only support something they do not use! The guy who wrote the article must be insane to suggest it :)

Regards

Philip

8. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi again,

Just a little update I tried the -RW in my Philips 963SA to my HS10 PJ in Pal progressive and it played perfectly with no artifacts visible. I will now go back to the Sony shop with a +RW and also get them to record using the VR mode on the -RW to see if it works before I make my mind up to buy one.

Klippie

9. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The VR mode will not work on any Philips player. Still as +RW has little to offer over using DVD-RW in its compatible mode, you might as well stick with DVD-RW, or not bother with a dual-recorder at all.

Just quoting myself really. It would seem the newest manufacturer of +RW recorders, APEX, have also removed features of the +RW recording. The reason given why Sony did this by +RW promotional people is that Sony wanted to make their recorder simpler to use. This doesn't hold true for APEX who just have a +RW recorder only.

Like I said, if it doesn't work it isn't going to be included as a function. +RW is struggling to prove itself reliable for a real-time use (the most demanding). Dumbing it down to get it to work without errors means you might as well go for a DVD-RW/DVD-R machine (when new models start arriving, if they do), or go for DVD-RAM/DVD-R.

+RW has always been a marketing exercise by Philips, from reusing old CD-RW technology so it could charge royalites through to the name, "plus", not to mention so called independant websites that are nothing of the sort.

Regards

Philip

10. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,

I have been for another look at this machine and this time I got the shop to record in the 180min and 240min modes as I would be using them quite regularly.

Major disappointment, the 180min mode was blocky around moving objects and the image appeared to shimmer from time to time and 240min mode is just a no no.

Standard vhs video is much better in my opinion than these modes so thats what I will be sticking to for the foreseeable future......damn it.

Klippie.